Sign in to follow this  

Chain and Sprockets for TTR-125

I've just had to replace the chain and sprockets on my TTR-125 for the 3rd time in 2 years. (I ride a lot)! I always go for aftermarket parts because they're cheaper. Are the original Yamaha parts actually worth the amount of money you pay for them? They seem SO much more expensive than the aftermarket stuff. :smirk:

I don't think lube (AKA dirt collector) is as important as the proper adjustment. I hesitate to call it "chain tension" because there should never be any chain tension present when adjusting the chain. I bought a good chain and sprockets and have not even needed to adjust them with a whole season of riding on my YZ250. They still look new. Too much slack is better than not enough. Well with the TTR there isn't really a chain guide even though there should be. The best way to adjust the chain is to do like the manual says or even better, remove the rear shock and lift the swing arm until the front sprocket center and the swing arm pivot and the rear axle are in a perfect line. This is the point that the distance between the axle and front sprocket is at its furthest distance apart. This is where you want just a bit of slack for dirt and such. Adjust it in this orientation and put the shock back on. Take a measurement at let's say between the chain pin center and the rearward part of the chain slider with the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground. Record this dimension and use it as a baseline so you don't have to take off the shock every time. I know that this was not your question but it kinda relate to it. Hope this helps.

I don't think lube (AKA dirt collector) is as important as the proper adjustment. I hesitate to call it "chain tension" because there should never be any chain tension present when adjusting the chain. I bought a good chain and sprockets and have not even needed to adjust them with a whole season of riding on my YZ250. They still look new. Too much slack is better than not enough. Well with the TTR there isn't really a chain guide even though there should be. The best way to adjust the chain is to do like the manual says or even better, remove the rear shock and lift the swing arm until the front sprocket center and the swing arm pivot and the rear axle are in a perfect line. This is the point that the distance between the axle and front sprocket is at its furthest distance apart. This is where you want just a bit of slack for dirt and such. Adjust it in this orientation and put the shock back on. Take a measurement at let's say between the chain pin center and the rearward part of the chain slider with the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground. Record this dimension and use it as a baseline so you don't have to take off the shock every time. I know that this was not your question but it kinda relate to it. Hope this helps.

Alot better explanation job Mark! I am not very good at typing out how ya do things lol... although I mean well!

Alot better explanation job Mark! I am not very good at typing out how ya do things lol... although I mean well!

I was not bashing you. You were absolutly correct. I kinda just reinforced what you posted..

I was not bashing you. You were absolutly correct. I kinda just reinforced what you posted..

Oh I know, I was just giving you props!!