Sign in to follow this  

DIY Dual sport harness? Anyone here made their own?

I have an XR250 and soon will have a 400 as well, and I plan to set both up for street use.

Do we have any engineer types here who have made/created/assembled their own dual sport harness?

I'm no stranger to electrical work (street bikes), and it seems like I could ebay some parts and link them with my own wiring to create my own kit.

I would love to hear from some of you who may have attempted this yourselves; would like to hear what you've done, what parts have been used, etc.

If we can collaborate some effort on a parts list, I'm very willing to make a pictorial how-to write up on creating the whole setup.

Obvious parts to start with would be:

- high output stator

- regulator (reg/rec? what kind?)

- battery?

- high/low headlight

- 4 turn signals

- dual element rear bulb

- signal relay

- headlight relay?

- horn

- brake light switches

- handlebar switch

- maybe a keyed ignition?

Am I missing anything?

Ok, I cheated. I just won a complete, clean harness from an 87 XL600R on ebay for $9.95. :smirk:

That should make things a bit easier! lol

I bought a BD kit in a box from a TTer back in 03 that he had a ton of problems with. I threw most of the wiring away and started from scratch. Haven't had any issues with it since

Using a factory harness sounds like an interesting idea.

Yep, I am happy about that one. Thought for sure someone was going to snipe it for more money, but I got lucky!

Honda didn't change the bikes much at all, so I'm hoping the harness just falls into place with a few connector swaps. Time to go locate an '87 wiring diagram. :smirk:

I know some of the XLs used 3 phase stators so you might have to do some conversion there. Good luck with it though.

I have an old BD harness and most everything else like head light, horn , blinkers and stuff that I got from a buddy but the multi connector is a mess.

I just pulled it out of the box the other day and was thinking of making it work on my 97 xr400 but I also have a 91 250L that I bought for two hundred bucks and it's all in boxes. I am thinking of parting that bike out because the engine needs a top end.

My question is; Would that harness and battery and rest of the stuff work on the x4 ?

Or is a 650L harness more suitable ?

The 250L has a 3 phase stator for sure. It could work but would take some reworking.

I just ordered a voltage regulator for a Rhino from Accel. I'm going to try and rewind the stator on my XR4 in a 3 phase configuration.

I know some of the XLs used 3 phase stators so you might have to do some conversion there. Good luck with it though.

Worst case, I buy an aftermarket stator. I think I saved enough on the harness to justify it! lol