Sign in to follow this  

cleaning nuts and hardware

Does anyone know of how to thoroughly clean hardware without taking off the plating/zinc coating? I was thinking maybe baking soda combo or something.Any ideas?

I toss 'em in a can of Berrymans Carb Cleaner overnight. Wash them with water afterwards then scrub in regular parts cleaner and a small stainless wire brush.

If you are looking to restore, you can get a pail full of hardware replated for around $50. I'd recommend picking up one of those nut and bolt lots off Ebay from the same bike so you're not constantly searching for something.

IMG_0444.jpg

these shock parts were $40.

IMG_1158.jpg

New or replated hardware make a huge difference on the final product

IMG_1160.jpg

youve got some sweet hardware there Jeekinz, what coating is the goldish stuff? What is the correct name for the swingarm pivot, axles and chain adjuster coating?

The silver is just zinc plating. The yellow is "yellow-cad". My bad, it was $30 for the shock stuff plus shipping. I used yellowzincplating.com for the shock stuff. A different company, local, did the nuts and bolts but took a little while to get back. so I'm just using the yellowzincplating guy now. O, they do other colors besides yellow. You should degrease the parts and file down any tool marks or dings with a jewelers file. Then when they come back they look brand new, instead of a new looking used bolt. I spent probobly and hour on those spring preload rings as they were hacked from being beat on with a screwdriver.

That KX was my first "real" concours resto and I forgot to send alot of stuff to get plated like the axles, spokes, and a few small pieces. That stuff costs a fortune buying new. Just one suspension bolt is like $20! Most of the stuff like shroud bolts are like 1-2$ ea.

the next bike I do I'm going to completely strip first, suspension and wheels included, buy at least another bikes worth of used hardware and have it all plated in one shot. I spend a TON of time searching for specific nuts and bolts.

If you need to buy new stuff, check out BOLT motorcycle hardware. Buy the refill packs. IDK what you're working on, but if you need to know what size bolt goes where, just use the parts microfiche. Thats what I do with my KX, the shroud bolt is listed as: Part# XXXXX-XXXX DESC: BOLT, 8x20 so "8x20 is the thread size and length. :smirk: