Sign in to follow this  

TE410e starter problem

Hello,

I have a 2000 TE410e, that I have difficulty starting.

The starter will turn the engine over if there is no choke or throttle.

If either the choke or throttle are opened, even a crack, the starter motor is unable to turn the engine over, as though there is too much compression.

It has an auto decompressor that appeared to work when I checked it, although I thought the spring seemed a little weak.

Once the bike is started it runs fine.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have a 2000 TE410e, that I have difficulty starting.

The starter will turn the engine over if there is no choke or throttle.

If either the choke or throttle are opened, even a crack, the starter motor is unable to turn the engine over, as though there is too much compression.

It has an auto decompressor that appeared to work when I checked it, although I thought the spring seemed a little weak.

Once the bike is started it runs fine.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Hi ,

the battery's on them are pretty marginal against the compression, and our current Temps,

try it from cold with jump-leads from a running car / van,

see if it's easier ,

let us know what you find - Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

I managed to get it going eventually with a pre heated plug, a squirt of fuel down the plug hole and a jump start from a running car.

It's interesting that you say the battery's marginal on them. I'm new to this big thumper malarkey, and I wasn't sure if there was something wrong to make it struggle so much with the compression.

Are there some batteries that are better than others for this type of machine?

Thanks,

Dave

With regards to battery I would say yuasa or similar quality. Don't be tempted to buy cheaper batteries. If your not using the bike regulary then I would also recommend some type of battery tender, oxford do one or even the Aldi one that comes round for about £12 every so often, they are a must in the winter plus it will extend your batteries life span.

As Charlie said temperatures can greatly affect starting, especially on these bikes as the starter motor turns quite slowly anyway, the auto decomp spring is probably ok as when the engine catches the centrifugal force of the now faster engine speed moves the decomp actuator away from the valve.

Just a thought check that your valve clearances are in spec.

I can't realy think of any over reason why the choke or throttle would affect the starter motor from turning apart from a timing issue, stretched timing chain maybe, tensioner but you say it runs ok when started. May be worth checking the timing just to eliminate it.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I've just rebuilt the top end, so the timing and valve clearances are spot on.

It starts right off now, but I think the battery is a bit suspect, if it didn't start right away it'd be struggling.

I think I'll invest in a Yuasa. Has anyone tried Lithium ion, I believe they're meant to have better cranking power (but too expensive for my pocket).

Dave

I've just rebuilt the top end, so the timing and valve clearances are spot on.

It starts right off now, but I think the battery is a bit suspect, if it didn't start right away it'd be struggling.

Hi Dave,

the valve clearances are crucial on those for correct fuelling,

my 2001 410e went from bottom needle clip to top with the valves still in tolerance..!!,

remember they are DIFFERENT clearances to the left kickers too..!!

if mine was any guide then it's all down to "edge of clearance range" intake valves,

battery only showed-up as faulty after a prolonged lay-up , then needed a jump-start from a VAN to crank it.. ,a CAR wasn't man-enough..!!,

Charlie