Sign in to follow this  

'90 RM250 ignition

How strong is the spark on this model suppose to be. I looks weak to me and I think that's where my starting issues are. The CDI, coil, and stator all check out fine. All connections have been cleaned multiple times including where the coil bolts to the frame. I have to really get the engine turning over fast to get it to spark. If you pull the spark plug out to watch for spark, it won't even attempt unless its a moderately fast speed. The pickup coil does have a crack in it, but it still runs. Just looking for other ideas before buying a stator assembly.

I've been told by plenty of people that if you can see a spark, any spark, you have no problems with electrical systems. Dunno how true that is, but I thought I had a weak spark problem on my 93 RM250, all it was was a rich pilot jet.

Nonetheless, got a mate with a bike the same? OR from 89-95? Cuz you could try swapping CDI / coil / bits from his bike and see whats broken, or get a manual and test all the electricals with a multimeter.