bike wont run right after sitting years...

Got a 250x for my wife for a christmas present from a freind. My buddy bought the bike new (2005) and just didn't ride it. It probably has five or six hours on it. Really. So I got it from him and it wouldnt start. Go figure.... I pulled the carb off and found the stock number 40 pilot jet was clogged over. So I cleaned it and then verified the accelerator pump circuit was working. Now the bike will start and run, only after five or six full twist of the throttle, but it has the bog from hell....... If the throttle is opened slowly, no bog is there. But open the throttle with any kind of speed and it damn near dies before it suddenly takes off. Again, i verified the pump shot is there. I'm looking for ideas of what I need to check next. Thanks. Jason

That bike ran and start better with a 42 pilot. Did you clean the rest of the carb? Blow it out with air? It probably has some clogs in the other passages as well.

If you haven't already, take out the fuel screw, being careful not to lose the spring, washer, and tiny oring, and make sure that passage is clean, and reinstall to 2.0 turns out.

Too much of an AP squirt will make it bog also. If the leak jet circuit is clogged up, it will push too much fuel into the engine, causing a nasty bog also.

When it bogs badly like that, look for a good puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.

Got a 250x for my wife for a christmas present from a freind. My buddy bought the bike new (2005) and just didn't ride it. It probably has five or six hours on it. Really. So I got it from him and it wouldnt start. Go figure.... I pulled the carb off and found the stock number 40 pilot jet was clogged over. So I cleaned it and then verified the accelerator pump circuit was working. Now the bike will start and run, only after five or six full twist of the throttle, but it has the bog from hell....... If the throttle is opened slowly, no bog is there. But open the throttle with any kind of speed and it damn near dies before it suddenly takes off. Again, i verified the pump shot is there. I'm looking for ideas of what I need to check next. Thanks. Jason

It is possible that there is still some goop in the jet and you are really lean. Once they clog up, it's better to just get a new one. While you are at it, bump the pilot jet to a 42 or (even better) a 45.

I run a 45 in my bike and have no bog with no AP mod - 42 was too lean for good off idle throttle response. I twiddle the pilot screw (on a stand) until I can snap the throttle from 0 to 1/8 position and get instant throttle response. I also have a cut airbox. I raised the main to around a 155, and dropped the needle clip two positions (needs 1 1/2).

Unless you did a really good job, I'd go through the carb again. I like to blow out all passages with aerosol carb cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, then blast it out again. Repeat a couple of times.

JayC

Alright, thanks guys... I'll get a new pilot tomorrow and clean again.

rmoore- there is no smoke from the exhaust, so I suspect its lean.

JayC- other than the airbox, is your bike stock? Mine is BONE stock, no mods whatsoever....Like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Do you think I should also go bigger on the main?

JayC- other than the airbox, is your bike stock? Mine is BONE stock, no mods whatsoever....Like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Do you think I should also go bigger on the main?

My bike has a cut airbox, backfire screen removed, and that's it. No AP mod and stock exhaust. You're going to want to bump your main up, but not nearly as far as us guys with the opened up intakes. I'd start by going up 2 sizes from stock and see how it runs.

JayC

• Like 2

If you have a properly sized main(bike pulls hard W.F.O. to rev limiter),Jayc is on the money when he says bump the pilot up in size(1 to 2 sizes). If any bog remains raise needle by going down a clip position or shimming needle with a properly sized washer or two. During winter i run a 50 pilot in my 450x and change back to a 48 in summer. Hope this helps!