Foot Peg Bolt Head stripped and stuck!

Alright guys...got my ProMotoBillet kickstand (we ride trails a lot) for my YZ250f. Top bolt holding on the peg came out fairly easy. It was totally covered in blue loc-tite. Lower bolt won't budge! The bolt is a Torx-50 and now is stripped. It didn't strip because the wrench slipped out of the head, it stripped because the bolt won't budge! I've tried vice grips, channel locks, you name it...nothing. So, now what do I do? Will the bolt extractor work or just break off inside since this thing won't budge? Should I dremel the head to make it square and try other vice-grip/wrench? I'm at a loss on this one. Thanks for your help.

have you used some heat from a propane torch on it?

what about PB Blaster?

did you smack it with a deadblow hammer?

3 ideas right there.

The blue Loctite will soften with some heat. Heat the bolt and use a chisel/hammer to break it loose.

• Like 1

Did the hammer. Did the heat but with a heat gun. Will try torch this evening. Thanks for the advice...hope I can get it out.

Use a chisel and hammer to turn the bolt after you get it good and hot with the torch. You should be able to get it loose that way.

Got it...thanks. Torched it...hit it...reshaped head some with hammer and screwdrivers...hit it with impact gun and BINGO!

• Like 1

Got it...thanks. Torched it...hit it...reshaped head some with hammer and screwdrivers...hit it with impact gun and BINGO!

Well - I am going thru the same thing on my '10 yz450,- BOTH of them are stuck.:-o

Glad i searched and found your thread, i will try the heat method, and impact driver with the #50 torx.

I have not stripped it out yet - hope the heat works.

I DID try to heat the aluminum frame around the bolt, but not the bolt itself. That didn't work,

Hope heating the bolt works to break down that loctite, I'll find out soon . . . .

Well - I am going thru the same thing on my '10 yz450,- BOTH of them are stuck.:-o

Glad i searched and found your thread, i will try the heat method, and impact driver with the #50 torx.

I have not stripped it out yet - hope the heat works.

I DID try to heat the aluminum frame around the bolt, but not the bolt itself. That didn't work,

Hope heating the bolt works to break down that loctite, I'll find out soon . . . .

just tried to heat the bolt, and used impact driver. That didn't work.

How much heat does it take????

Just an FYI the Torx size is not a T-50... It is a T-50 Plus. T-50 Torx is too loose a fit. Yes there is a whole different style. You can Google the different fastener types. I own a set of Mac tools Torx plus that will remove the peg bolts like butter. If you want the T-50 plus that can be purchased from a tool truck & I have seen them on eBay as well.

• Like 3

Just an FYI the Torx size is not a T-50... It is a T-50 Plus. T-50 Torx is too loose a fit. Yes there is a whole different style. You can Google the different fastener types. I own a set of Mac tools Torx plus that will remove the peg bolts like butter. If you want the T-50 plus that can be purchased from a tool truck & I have seen them on eBay as well.

Hey keenxxx - I thought that T50 was a loose fit, that explains it!

Thank you for that advice, i will find a T50 Plus

Also try spraying it with some penetrating oil and letting it sit for a while so it works its way in then try to unbolt it. The penetrating oil has worked wonders for me!

I finally got the T-50 Plus delivered - it is NOT a T50 Plus.:-o

it doesn't fit at all, the grooves in torx bolt are narrower than the plus.

it's silly - the bolt is not stripped at all, it just won't turn, even if i heat it up with propane torch to loosen the factory installed blue loctite

this really sucks,

ronbuell - the head of the bolt is fine, not stripped at all. it just won't come loose though.:-o

OK, then either its a TORX-T50 and the wrench you are using is the problem.

There could be another issue... if you can see if the bolt extends past the nut, the threads could have gotten bradded over, keeping the bolt from un-screwing.  What I do in cases like that, assuming I have access, is take a 4" angle grinder and cut the bolt off flush.  Heat from that exercise will loosen it somewhat. 

Heat from welding another bolt on will loosen it too, so as soon as I weld one on, I grab the wrench. 

Can you take a pic and post it, cause I was thinking the Promoto bolted to the chain idle wheel mount, not the footpeg.

If you have a buddy with a Sawzall and and MIG welder, cut the bolt off or cut the bracket and then put it back.

• Like 1

OK, then either its a TORX-T50 and the wrench you are using is the problem.

There could be another issue... if you can see if the bolt extends past the nut, the threads could have gotten bradded over, keeping the bolt from un-screwing.  What I do in cases like that, assuming I have access, is take a 4" angle grinder and cut the bolt off flush.  Heat from that exercise will loosen it somewhat. 

Heat from welding another bolt on will loosen it too, so as soon as I weld one on, I grab the wrench. 

Can you take a pic and post it, cause I was thinking the Promoto bolted to the chain idle wheel mount, not the footpeg.

If you have a buddy with a Sawzall and and MIG welder, cut the bolt off or cut the bracket and then put it back.

The torx fits fine, I think it's what what you say about the threads bradded over. I should have gotten the Promoto, because mine bolts only to the footpeg bracket mount which are blind threaded directly into the frame.

I'm out of time now (leaving for Colorado Fri AM for some dirt riding, I'll be on the "good foot" . . .  even without a kickstand;-)

but thanks for the tips, and I will use your suggestions in the future.

I finally got the T-50 Plus delivered - it is NOT a T50 Plus.:-o

it doesn't fit at all, the grooves in torx bolt are narrower than the plus.

it's silly - the bolt is not stripped at all, it just won't turn, even if i heat it up with propane torch to loosen the factory installed blue loctite

this really sucks,

ronbuell - the head of the bolt is fine, not stripped at all. it just won't come loose though.:-o

Maybe I should have elaborated on this subject a little more. First if you haven't stripped or removed the Torx bolt you have not applied enough force. We saw a row of these @ the dealership where customers were routinely running into removal problems. Factory tightened w/ lock-tite and a funky button head Torx is the issue. A T-50 is a semi- loose fit anf T-50 Plus requires a "tap...tap...tap" from a ball peen hammer to engage the fastener. Here are a couple pic's. It's a 10mm fastner w/ a torque spec of 40ft lbs. so lay into that ratchet. Notice my ratched is a long version.

DSCN3778.JPG

DSCN3779.JPG

Maybe I should have elaborated on this subject a little more. First if you haven't stripped or removed the Torx bolt you have not applied enough force. We saw a row of these @ the dealership where customers were routinely running into removal problems. Factory tightened w/ lock-tite and a funky button head Torx is the issue. A T-50 is a semi- loose fit anf T-50 Plus requires a "tap...tap...tap" from a ball peen hammer to engage the fastener. Here are a couple pic's. It's a 10mm fastner w/ a torque spec of 40ft lbs. so lay into that ratchet. Notice my ratched is a long version.

I must have one of those bikes with the "removal problem" :-o

I've hammered away with an impact driver with regular T50. It doesn't strip the bolt (or loosen it) but the bit is getting chewed up some!

Thank you for that follow-up advice, if I have enough time I will try that method.

(I have an old kickstand from my '99 yz400f that I was able to fit on my swingarm, but I still want to get my new - correct kickstand mounted on the footpeg bracket.)

I must have one of those bikes with the "removal problem" :-o

I've hammered away with an impact driver with regular T50. It doesn't strip the bolt (or loosen it) but the bit is getting chewed up some!

Thank you for that follow-up advice, if I have enough time I will try that method.

(I have an old kickstand from my '99 yz400f that I was able to fit on my swingarm, but I still want to get my new - correct kickstand mounted on the footpeg bracket.)

I am going to guess you are using an impact that doesn't produce enough torque. I woudn't use an impact on that style fastner. A long ratchet will easily remove that bolt.

• Like 1

Bump!! This is still going on I bought a kickstand for my 2010 YZ250F and the lower bolt stripped on me too. I was using a Torx 50 I ended up trying everything slotted with a dremel to try an flat head impact driver, easy out , finally heated and managed to get it with vise grips. My question is what should I go back with since the stock Torx 50 seems to strip easily? Suggestions?