Sign in to follow this  

locked up?

I recently picked up a 2001 CR250 for next to nothing. The kid said he rode this bike for an hour or so the night before, came out the next morning, kicked the bike over 3-4 times and it locked up? I put a 1/2" ratchet on the flywheel nut and can not turn the bike over but maybe an 1/4" either way. I looked at the cylinder from the exhaust side and intake side and see no scoring or evidence of it being blown up. I removed the side cover and clutch assembly and found some contaminents left in the bottom of the case. Is there anything in particular any of you guys have ran into before that you could point me in the direction of before I remove the trans assembly? Somebody mentioned that the kick start gear could have locked it up but Im not to sure about that. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome, Thanks!

Im Sure more experienced guys will chime in later. But, I would check the kickstarter machanism first, and make sure its working properly and not binding. If its okay, remove the cylinder and head and make sure you dont have a busted ring, or a circlip binding. If thats okay, check for free movement of rod on crank. Just dont try to force the motor to turn by getting crazy on the kickstart, or flywheel until you figure out whats in a bind. You might damage something more than it already is.. Good Luck

It could very well be something on the clutch side of the bike. I would pull the right side engine case and take a look in there.

I want to get in on some of these "picked up this bike for next to nothing" delas!!

pull the head and have a look. Could be as simple and a stuck ring. Does it roll around freely as if it is out of gear?

It rolls around free out of gear just fine, I build and rebuild alot of 2 stroke motors, only in a smaller scale (chainsaws) by trade and have worked on and owned alot of 2stroke bikes my whole life and have seen weird stuff like wrist pins walking out or circlips popping out and locking the piston up in a port which is quite possible with this one. Im just not to sure as to what has locked this up!

I want to get in on some of these "picked up this bike for next to nothing" delas!!

I assume its a next to nothing deal in my opinion, damn good looking bike, excel rims, pipes, and new rubber for 300.00?

Im just not to sure as to what has locked this up!

That's kind of like asking what prize is in the Cracker Jack box before it is opened. Time for the cylinder to come off. Best guess (read my first sentence) is the lower rod bearing has failed. If so, the motor comes out / apart and a new crank, main bearings, gasket kit and piston / rings are in order.

When the lower rod bearing fails, it will throw a lot of needle bearing fragments through the transfer ports and damage the cylinder. Plan to have the cylinder replated too, as these cylinders are plated (not borable). Replates usually are in the $225 neighborhood (not including any parts listed in the previous paragraph).

I'd definitely remove clutch cover and kick starter gear + shaft 1st. I've seen a 2000 cr250 with kick start gear seized onto it's shaft and it would only let the crank move just a bit, as you describe. The kicker gear is always connected to the clutch basket gear and thus the crank. If kicker gear seizes onto it's shaft, it will lock up the crank. Bike will still roll if in neutral. Kicker gear seizes onto it's shaft when tranny oil gets low, like from a bad crank seal. ,,,,,alex

its POSSIBILE it could be one of your primary gears. somthing could have broken off... but my guess. is you have a bad bearing or bent rod... more then likley you have to do a FULL engine rebuild. crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, piston, rings, and possibily re nikasel the cylinder/replace the head...(doesnt seem bad for me, coming from 4 strokes to 2 stroke)

my cr125 had the same issue and one of the gears behind clutch had came free and was catching the rear of the basket