02 yz 250 spitting oil when its cold?

my yz 250 leaks a little oil out the rubber gasket where the pipes meet and i just havnt got a new gasket yet, so i just wipe it off as it comes out, but yesterday it was somewhere below 30 degrees and when i fired it up and let it run then came back, i noticed a small puddle of oil by the back tire and noticed it was dripping out of the exhaust exit? why?

yes that is the conclusion i have come to, i run it a hair richer then suggested just to stay on the safe side, so it makes sense that the oil is thicker because its so cold in the shed and yea that mid connecter rubber dosnt do a great job if its below 45 degrees. Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

you dont normally need to run them richer to be honest you can run the bike leaner then what they say. Most of them say run a mix of 32:1(litres) i would say you should be able to run the bike safley 40:1(litres). I run my 2008 YZ250 at this premix. Ive owned the bike since new and its done 42 hours and still going strong.

you dont normally need to run them richer to be honest you can run the bike leaner then what they say. Most of them say run a mix of 32:1(litres) i would say you should be able to run the bike safley 40:1(litres). I run my 2008 YZ250 at this premix. Ive owned the bike since new and its done 42 hours and still going strong.

If you push your bike very hard I would not try 40:1. Something like 32:1 or 24:1 will provide more performance and lubrication.

Premix ratios is much more dependent upon rider skill and conditions, so the above will not apply to all riders. But basing proper premix amounts based on hours alone is a very poor test.

42 hours in 4 years?

Yeah that's rite, its a bit hard for me to get out and ride with the shifts i work plus it takes me and hour and a half to get where i normally ride. Would love to ride more but really cant at the moment.

Edited by YZjunkie

If you push your bike very hard I would not try 40:1. Something like 32:1 or 24:1 will provide more performance and lubrication.

Premix ratios is much more dependent upon rider skill and conditions, so the above will not apply to all riders. But basing proper premix amounts based on hours alone is a very poor test.

I wouldn't call it a test. I was just trying to say that i haven't had a problem with my bike running at that premix. That's all.