Sign in to follow this  

Cheap way to raise foot pegs

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to raise the footpegs on my 07 yZ250F about 1". I'm short and need a little more seat clearance when standing. SO far all I have seen is IMS pegs that raise the pegs 7/8", which is fine, but they are $200.

Anyone have a set of stock pegs they removed to upgrade they would want to get ride of cheap? I'm thinking about cutting off pegs and welding them on top of my existing pegs so see of the extra height makes a big enough difference. If I try it and like it, I may be more tempted to spend $200 and get new IMS pegs down the road.

Also, anyone know what material my pegs are made out of? It's not magnetic, and I'm assuming it's not aluminum.

If you can find a set of pegs (try ebay) then you could probably stack them up like you described. You would need to grind down the teeth on the old pegs to get a good fit for the weld. Since it isn't magnetic then perhaps it is stainless steel. Not sure of an easy test to determine this for certain though. I can't think of why they would make pegs from stainless though because it isn't as strong as steel. It also could be titanium although I'd doubt yamaha would put ti pegs on a stock bike.

One potential problem with welding up the pegs would be that they probably wont be as strong. They will probably be more likely to bend or even break, especially if they heat up too much during welding.

I'm not a big fan of shaving the seat for a few reasons. First off, it will be difficult to shave the seat in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. Second, the seat cover won't fit right. Third, there isn't a whole lot of room for shaving from the seat (the foam is pretty thin as it is). Fourth, the ergonomics of the seat will probably suffer, making it harder to move around on the bike.

I'm considering shaving my seat down, but am a little concerned to go more than about 1/2", which I don't think will gain me much in "rear end clearance". :smirk: Having never done it before, i'm not sure how it will be aesthetics wise or comfort wise, but I will probably try a 1/2" first and see how it works.

I did see a thread on here a awhile back where a guy said he shaved off 2" from his seat foam and posted a pic of it. I might have to do a little research on the seat shaving idea.

Thanks, guys!

This thread is in the 2 stroke section, but all of the information is relevant for 4 strokes as well:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887077&highlight=wr+footpegs

From what I can see, your pegs are the tallest stock pegs that Yamaha makes. But it does confirm that they are Titanium. Don't know much about welding so you'll have to figure that out.

If you are just wanting to experiment with the height, zip tie a piece of 1x material to your pegs. Would not be good to hit the track or trail, but you could do some easy riding to evaluate the height.

I think the welding idea is a bad idea because if you don't like it you have ruined 2 sets of foot pegs.

Edited by jakeblues

Agreed, leave the pegs alone, seat foam and covers are throway items, cheap to test on.

I have shaved a few seats and it was fine, depending on the bike you can take only a little off or a lot depending on how thick it is to start with.

Use a hot knife (it's a hobby tool, available on ebay for $20 or so) for the cleanest cuts; serrations show through the cover really easily- if you hack the foam with a regular knife it's ugly.

Get a seat cover that doesn't conform around the lip of the pan and just tighten it as necessary and trim the excess material.