Sign in to follow this  

Questions about rebuild...

Its going to be time for me to change out parts on my 2008 pretty soon, I have the piston sorted and valves are fine so it is just the bottom end that i have questions about..

1. If i buy a full crank does it need balancing or anything or is it ready straight out of the box ?

2. Is it a wise option to buy a full crank or just a new rod and get it pressed/balanced ?

3. Is a stroker crank a good option ? I don't race but a few extra cc's would be nice, Do they need any more work than a regular crank and do they cause much more stress on the engine ?

4. Do i need to replaces crank bearings (or any other bearings) ?

5. What tools do i need ? I have a very good socket set and spanners and will buy a good torque wrench also, and i will buy a flywheel puller as well...

Are there any other tools i need ?

I have rebuilt the top end before and was successful and with the manual i think i will be able to do the bottom end also, Has anybody got any tips/hints that will help me out ?

Thanks

you can mae a case splitter out of a harmonic balencer and u need to buy the crank puller-installer 60 from tusk, the hot rods kit comes with ll the crank bearings and gaskets also its already true out of the box

The crankshaft kit is the way to go. Fully assembled crankshaft that's balanced with main bearings, lower end gaskets and seals. You will still need to pruchase a top end gasket set, it doesn't come in the kit.

The stroker crank is going to add additional stress to the lower end. I'm not a fan of them, but a lot of folks like them. They are more expensive and will give you a bit more power. Being that I've built quite a few race engines with stroker cranks, they don't last as long in the race world then the stock stroke crankshafts. No proof on paper, but that's what I've seen specially the high reving hi level racers.

You shouldn't need anything to split the cases with besides a plastic mallot. The 2 strokes require a case splitter, not the 4 stroke usually unless something is seriously wrong. Make sure you remove the transmission drain bolt. Common mistake that people forget about then they jam a screwdriver between the cases and distort the sealing surfaces so the bike leaks oil. The cases will not come apart with the trans drain bolt in the engine.

Make sure you do a real good job cleaning out the engine. If you have any questions along this journey, ask!

oh this is my first 4 stroke and always had to split the cases on my 2 strokes thanks for the info

No problem, it's not a big deal. I've been where you are, doing a 4 stroke for the first time. It's been 30 year for me since I did my 1st 4 stroke!