Sign in to follow this  

I can't help but like old bikes more....

I have been looking at getting a street bike to mess around on. I have been looking at newer sport bikes. But I saw this bike and the cool factor seems to be 10 times higher in my opinion. What do you guys think of the price? I am still looking but curious about this bike.

http://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/2763051901.html

Alex

looks pretty good for $1300. If you dont like it, sell it in the spring and make a profit!

looks pretty good for $1300. If you dont like it, sell it in the spring and make a profit!

Good idea. I think it is way cooler than my friends 650 ninja, and will be more fun to ride than a death machine. haha

Be careful, old bikes are addictive. Before you know it you'll have a garage full of them:ride:

I'd like to see some receipts for the rebuild, just to make sure...

Overall, very clean. Did ya notice the pod air filters?

I'd go for it, especially if you can get a few dollars off the price, but don't wait too long to decide!!!

As long as it runs really well and doesn't smoke I don't think it will matter if it's 650 or 750 . They have a pretty good reliability reputation .

What a nice bike,or looks like one!

They were a good motor,the 650 was really slow stock. The 750 of 81 or 82(?) was based on the same motor and was very fast for the times. Maybe that's what this guy did,swapped top ends off a newer motor?

A friend of mine had one (750)for about a week back in 83. but that's another story,with a 'not so good' ending..

Be careful, old bikes are addictive. Before you know it you'll have a garage full of them:ride:

That is already a problem of mine :smirk:

I feel that price is about right. It's hard to find these bikes in this condition. usually the seats torn, exhaust is rusted, tank dented, painted with barbecue paint etc..... and they still want $900! If you want a decent reliable bike that someone actually took care of and want something unique that you could ride around for a couple years and sell for what you paid for then buy it. Just don't expect to hang with your sport bike friends in the corners but riding is about the whole experience not just hanging off the seat right?

I'd like to see some receipts for the rebuild, just to make sure...

Overall, very clean. Did ya notice the pod air filters?

I'd go for it, especially if you can get a few dollars off the price, but don't wait too long to decide!!!

I hate those pod filters on street bikes, ask if the seller has got the original air box. It will be a royal pain in the ass to put back in, but it will likely solve some weird issue you can't track down in the future (cross-winds, etc).

I have an 82 GPZ which is similar enough to this KZ to tell you that it's a good platform. The KZ motor isn't a screamer like the GPz (later ZX) motors are, but they're good solid machines.

I'm not going to give you the "how not to buy" lecture, I assume you already know. However, you will get a strong suggestion to take the MSF course immediately if not sooner.

cop that. It looks rad. But i'm not a fan of new "sport-bikes" so my opinion may be bias haha Riding something like that on a daily basis takes a certain kind of person, It is just so much more unique in my opinion... and F-YES for kickstart bikes! :smirk:

I feel that price is about right. It's hard to find these bikes in this condition. usually the seats torn, exhaust is rusted, tank dented, painted with barbecue paint etc..... and they still want $900! If you want a decent reliable bike that someone actually took care of and want something unique that you could ride around for a couple years and sell for what you paid for then buy it. Just don't expect to hang with your sport bike friends in the corners but riding is about the whole experience not just hanging off the seat right?

I race an old Triumph TR5MX, while a new crf450r might be faster and more agile. I drive an '83 280zx, while I could save and buy a newer car. I am just odd for my age haha. The enjoyment of the bike will still be high and the amount of tickets will be lower. :smirk:

Edited by canammx1

Hopefully it is still around when I get my next paycheck. I am in love with the looks. I'm not sure if it is just kickstart or if it has electric start as well.

I'm pretty sure it's e-start with a kicker back up. There were two models of KZ650 (B2/B2A) made that year, I don't know if one was a USA-only or CA only version.

These are very comfortable bikes to ride all day, standard (upright) seating position although you could easily replace the clip-ons with another style if you want to change it to slightly more sport (prone) seating.

It's a beauty but a limited market, it will probably be there next week.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure it's e-start with a kicker back up. There were two models of KZ650 (B2/B2A) made that year, I don't know if one was a USA-only or CA only version.

These are very comfortable bikes to ride all day, standard (upright) seating position although you could easily replace the clip-ons with another style if you want to change it to slightly more sport (prone) seating.

It's a beauty but a limited market, it will probably be there next week.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hopefully it is there for 2 weeks haha

If not, there will be others, but it'll probably be a long wait. I try to keep a "motorcycle fund" and I commit a small amount of money to it every pay day just for these situations. I also try very hard not to use that money ever, even on motorcycles - it just doesn't work out as often as I like.

I use an ING account as it makes it more difficult for me to "accidentally" (on purpose) spend the money.

So the guy still has the bike, and I have the funds. Just waiting for a call, hopefully I will get to have a look at it. My grandfather and I got to talking and turning my old can-am mx bike into a Can-Am supermotard is now a possibility. Once he and I get talking a new project appears. haha