Sign in to follow this  

Question about Cam Chain Tensioner/Cam Chain

Doing my first head rebuild on a 4-stroke and have a couple quick questions having to do with the cam timing and cam chain tensioner. As far as the cam chain tensioner before i took the cam out and everything i turned the little screw in the tensioner all the way out and locked it at that point, where it still sits now as my head is being rebuilt. Now when i reinstall the head and then the cam, do i simply just take the screwdriver that I have locked and let it spin? Or do you have to make adjustments?

And second question I have is that I did make a mark on the cam and cam chain with a permanent marker before removing, but unfortunately it rubbed off, should have used nail posh :smirk: . But what should i do now since i do not have those marks to line up anymore?

Probably stupid questions, but please bear with me, just want to make sure i get this all right!

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!

The timing chain tensioner needs to be installed with the piston of the tensioner retracted all the way in. Once the 2 bolts are torqued, pull the screwdriver out. No more adjustment needed.

For the timing, on the right side cover is a 10mm hex cap that needs to be removed. Once that's out, there's a dot on the gear in there. That dot needs to be ligned up with the little arrow that's on the side cover. You'll see it after you remove the cap. It's at roughly 3 o'clock on the cover itself. On the camshaft, there are 2 slash marks on the timing gear. The intake lobes will be facing back towards the carb or throttle body depending on what year the bike is and the slash marks need to be lighned up with the sealing surface of the head where the valve cover sits. Make sure that when you think you have it right, you rotate the engine by hand and make sure that everything ligns up. Do it a couple of times, it can't hurt. You will have some resistance when the decompression pin contacts the exhaust valve roller which you will be easily be able to see. It will almost feel like the engine is locking up, but that is totally normal and they way it works. Good luck!

thanks! and ive been reading that its a smart idea to replace the cam chain too while i have it all open? How do you go about changing that out?

It is a good idea to change it. They don't break often, but they do break sometimes causing serious damage. Besides, once the chain stretches, you cam timing changes robbing engine power. You need to pull off the left side cover and remove the flywheel. Once you take it off the camshaft, they drop right out once you losen the little metal tab under the chain. It's an 8mm headed bolt. You can't miss it once the flywheel is off.