Sign in to follow this  

swingarm bolt alternative

I destroyed my swing armbolt removing it... that old story again. I cant find a stock replacement in town and would like to get my bike back together. Anything wrong with using a gade 8 bolt? Or the metric equivlant?

when i lived in LA, Calif, i took a rear axle n nut that a hamfisted mate had hit with a metal hammer and buggered the threads up into a HARBOR FREIGHT store, located the big ass tap n die sets, opened one, found correct die, went to the workbench vise section, re-threaded the end, or really clened em up, put all tools away after checking the nut fit,:smirk:

manager gave me a funny look and in my best english accent said " thanks old chap, just checking this stuff works before i make the desicion to purchase!":lol:

Haha Well my bolt is beyond a harbor frieght quality test, as in it is in pieces.

gotta ask.........HOW? and pics please!

The bolt was frozen in the swing arm bearing. So after a few days of beating it to hell I got it to move. But by that time it had mushrommed enough that it wouldn't fit through the bearing. So i cut it with a sawzall on both sides of the swingarm and then pushed it back out the oposite way. No pics... sorry. And dont anyone give me grief about user maintenance, I got the bike this way! Pretty common problem though my xr400r was the same way.

Ebay has them but they aren't any less expensive than a new one from honda... and I cant have it today from ebay so I'm headed down to "Tacoma Screw" and see what they can cook up.

good luck

I had to do the EXACT same thing..things was frozen and no matter what I TRIED it would not come out, so I had to grind the right side(nut side) off right in between the swingarm and frame, I then had to have a bronze bushing welded in place of the "stock": flange that the frame has...since some of the orginal material was ground off...believe me I hated doing this.

I also had to go to ebay, and found a cheap swingarm bolt for less than $20, as no luck finding anything remotely similar anywhere else...

good luck man!

cheers

What about finding a piece of threaded rod that fits and using nylock nuts and washers both sides? May have better luck finding the threaded rod as opposed to a bolt that long.

What about finding a piece of threaded rod that fits and using nylock nuts and washers both sides? May have better luck finding the threaded rod as opposed to a bolt that long.

I would not want to put threaded rod through my frame... the sharp threads working on your frame:bonk:

I too went through this on my 600. Had to go to ebay to replace the mushroomed bolt, just as you have. My only question is. How come the guys on ebay are having better luck getting 'em out than any of us.LOL:banghead:

good luck

i had to do the exact same thing..things was frozen and no matter what i tried it would not come out, so i had to grind the right side(nut side) off right in between the swingarm and frame, i then had to have a bronze bushing welded in place of the "stock": Flange that the frame has...since some of the orginal material was ground off...believe me i hated doing this.

I also had to go to ebay, and found a cheap swingarm bolt for less than $20, as no luck finding anything remotely similar anywhere else...

Good luck man!

Cheers

copper grease is your bestestest ever friend......

copper grease is your bestestest ever friend......

TO REMOVE A BOLT? like the op I had to deal with a 20 year old bike and unknown prevoius owner maintenance.

I have good waterproof trailer grease, used for saltwater trailers and bearings...

so far so good, I will though get a grease gun and zerk those fittings well! jajaja

thanks

GOOD LUCK OP! and please no threaded rod! eeesh!