Sign in to follow this  

Best adult backyard bike?

Have about a third of an acre to make a small track. Am more of a woods rider so i intend to include some small obtacles as well. With neighbors somewhat close, dont want anything too loud.

Thinking it would be fun to have to small bikes to ride with friends.

Bikes to consider: yz 125 with snorkel for sound, ttr 125 or klx 140.

Can the small thumpers be sprung to handle a 200 pound rider? Recommedations? Any other bikes to consider? Thanks.

We flat track on my buddies property. We all use stock xr100's with street tires to practice riding sideways. Being stock it sound like a bunch of sewing machines zipping arround the property. And I'm 6' 220.

I have 2 acres with (dickhead) neighbors pretty close I built a pretty cool track with what i had to work with i ride a stock crf 150f im 6' 185 you could throw in stiffer springs for $65 ....

KLX300 with stock baffle and heavy springs. 82 dB baby. :smirk:

Still, for 1/3 of an acre I would get a pit bike if that is all you are going to do with it.

Pick up a used trials bike and play around with that. I have 9 acres and I'm gonna get the new Ossa Explorer when it comes out. It's half trials half enduro and it's gonna be my home play bike when I'm not on my Husky CR144 or GG300. The Honda CRF150 may also be a fun quiet play bike and you can pick those up pretty cheap.

the yz is a very good bike but not what your using for. Maybe 4 or 5 times lowder than the other bikes. I would recommend a crf230 or a ttr230. has enough power to have fun, any age/skill level can have some fun on it.

If you're thinking about a midsize 4 stroke like the TTR or KLX, this article might help:

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_0811_2008_midsize_playbike_comparison/index.html

I don't think these bikes have changed much since 2008 so the article should be useful.

I have a DRZ 125L and really like it - but I only weigh 140 pounds. 200 pounds would be pushing it, but would probably still work okay. Good luck!

The new KTM Freeride Electric, or one of the other electrics. If its in the backyard why have a gas motor when the electrics now are worthy play bikes.

I gotta say, some pretty bogus ideas really so far. Check out the mini bike scene, it is ultra cool, and super fun. A base KLX 110, or CRF 50 is perfect. There are plenty of built up ones ready to go that can be picked up real cheap second hand. Build a small supercross style track and you will probably find yourself riding the mini bike more than heading out into the woods on your full size bike

Thinking it would be fun to have to small bikes to ride with friends.

Bikes to consider: yz 125 with snorkel for sound, ttr 125 or klx 140.

Ah...a drunk guy track. I've been wanting to make of those for years.

For quasi-serious riding, I'd suggest a TTR125L. There is a bazillion aftermarket items available, they can be tuned to run really well (my wife's will flip over backwards if you snap the throttle from idle), and they sound like a sewing machine. I think a KLX is similar, but I've never played with one. 1/3 acre is pretty teeny - I don't think you could do any "real" riding there. Forget the 125. OTOH, I think you'd be better served by a fleet for when your friends come over.

For good 'ole backyard BBQ racing with a bunch of drunk old guys, I suggest getting 3 or 4 XR50s (CRF50s) and keeping them stock. That's a recipe for some serious fun.

JayC

I love the XR/CRF50s they are proper fun to ride

i have a modded 50 and its still quite loud but my neighbors are super cool about me riding my backyard track.

if the 50s are too small for your liking then look at the Honda F range of bikes

CRF80f, 100f and the 150f

theres more options for upgrades for the hondas

check out BBRmotorsports.com

Trials bike! Quiet, reliable, and FUN! If you put plenty of obstacles like logs and ledges in your track, when you get out on the trails again on the big bike (if you even want to ride it anymore!) you will be much better at taking on those obstacles.

Trials bikes are also fully capable for trail and woods riding as long as you carry extra fuel.