Dumbest Question I've Asked...

Ok... so let me preface this by saying that Louisiana is exceptionally flat. Anyhow, this weekend I stopped on on the side of a grade... and when I went to put my foot down... there was no ground lol. Eventually my toe touched down, I cursed like a sailor, jumped off and magically managed to stop the bike an inch form the ground one handed and bring it back up (bruising my hand in the process). It wasn't much of a grade but my bike is tall, even for my 34 inch inseam... Does that mean its time to use the lowering link or that I need to learn to think and lean towards the high side? Was also having the problem that when it would nose dive under breaking, I can't reach the ground either. Only had this bike a few months and never had one I couldn't easily flatfoot in all situations before. Not since I was a lil squirt riding a RT180

I personally find the really high seat height that is the norm now really annoying. I'm quite sure that a "dab" like the OP described is step one to some kind of unload. The taller the seat, the more likely you are to go down. I can even SEE it in events like Last Man Standing. Incidents that would be an innocent (and necessary) foot down result in totally loosing it instead of catching your balance and continuing. Maybe it isn't a big deal in MX but the more gnarley the trail, the more pain it is to continue smoothly.

Anyone agree???

I personally find the really high seat height that is the norm now really annoying. I'm quite sure that a "dab" like the OP described is step one to some kind of unload. The taller the seat, the more likely you are to go down. I can even SEE it in events like Last Man Standing. Incidents that would be an innocent (and necessary) foot down result in totally loosing it instead of catching your balance and continuing. Maybe it isn't a big deal in MX but the more gnarley the trail, the more pain it is to continue smoothly.

Anyone agree???

I agree, not only annoying...but seems to knock my confidence level down a notch or two after a couple of tard falls:bonk:

should be an easy fix for me though, i just need to adjust my rear suspension. I bought a bike that was set up for a 220lb to 230lb rider...i only weigh in at about 145lbs.

I think that if everything else seems to fit correctly, you just need to remember to keep to the uphill side. No amount of lowering is going to help you out if the ground is 6"-12" lower on the side you are trying to step off on. I've had to go over this exact same situation with my son a few times.

Find a hill side and do fiqure 8"s on it. Stop a few times and you will get the feel of the different angles. The other thing is that you say you saved the bike inches from the ground. Never save the bike when it's going down. Get away from it. You saved yours and hurt your hand. It only gets worse when you save it. I jump clear then marvel at how tuff the bikes are.

• Like 1

^Yup, I never worry about saving it unless its in the first few degrees of falling. After that it gets so heavy it's pointless. I can only touch on the tip-toes on my bike on flat ground, and while I do fall a lot when coming to a stop (to the amusement of my friends) I'm still not sure if I'll ever lower the bike.

Sure it's annoying when I'm struggling to make it up a muddy hill and I watch my friends that are 6' 3" walking the bike up the hills while still seated, but I figure it only forces me to become a better rider.

Find a hill side and do fiqure 8"s on it. Stop a few times and you will get the feel of the different angles. The other thing is that you say you saved the bike inches from the ground. Never save the bike when it's going down. Get away from it. You saved yours and hurt your hand. It only gets worse when you save it. I jump clear then marvel at how tuff the bikes are.
!

Yup, I figure my bike is way tougher than my body

Ok... so let me preface this by saying that Louisiana is exceptionally flat. Anyhow, this weekend I stopped on on the side of a grade... and when I went to put my foot down... there was no ground lol. Eventually my toe touched down, I cursed like a sailor, jumped off and magically managed to stop the bike an inch form the ground one handed and bring it back up (bruising my hand in the process). It wasn't much of a grade but my bike is tall, even for my 34 inch inseam... Does that mean its time to use the lowering link or that I need to learn to think and lean towards the high side? Was also having the problem that when it would nose dive under breaking, I can't reach the ground either. Only had this bike a few months and never had one I couldn't easily flatfoot in all situations before. Not since I was a lil squirt riding a RT180

I'd ride it longer. I wouldn't lower the bike unless it's more of an extreme case. I'd generally let the bike drop too but it's hard to say depending on if you think you can save it and if the bike is slowly going down etc. ..but you could decide to lower it later after you've gotten used to the bike and it's still a problem. Sounds like you know you have to be quick and focus on the side you can reach more. Even so it happens to everyone once in a while. Stepping off on the wrong side and highsiding is also great entertainment for your friends. They'll want to get it on film next time.?:bonk:

It seems to be a little too common on thumper talk to try and fix a problem by changing the bike. But you did post this in the Off Road Riding Technique section so it shows you're looking in the right direction.

It's a whole lot cheaper, and in the long run, more productive to change YOUR habits than it is to change the bike.

It seems to be a little too common on thumper talk to try and fix a problem by changing the bike. But you did post this in the Off Road Riding Technique section so it shows you're looking in the right direction.

It's a whole lot cheaper, and in the long run, more productive to change YOUR habits than it is to change the bike.

+2 always lean into the hill I have short legs also and I look for a bump, rock (AZ &AR have plenty of these),stump or edge of a rut to place my foot on.

Try standing more when you ride that helps build you balance also.

Good Luck!

with a 34" inseam you should have no issues at all touching the ground even on the biggest bike. do you have your sag set up properly? i have a 34" inseam and i have no issues touching the ground. to much chain tension can do the same thing, of course your sag test would fail as well.

If I had a dollar for every time I did that with my XR400, I could buy a new XR400. And there is no catching an XR400, just jump and hope it doesn't crush you to death.

No, it is NOT time to lower your bike. I have a 30" inseam - I've never been able to touch the ground. What it IS time for, however, is to learn the "one cheek sneak" stopping technique. One toe down is better than none.

JayC