Sign in to follow this  

XR400 in dunes?

Hey there, i searched for this and could not find anything about it..

I have a XR400 2000 with a baja kit done and redone suspension

the bike flys but its heavy

does anyone recommend it in the dunes or keep it to trails?

is it worth getting tires or would i just stick with a cr250r for dunes.

IVe had my mostly stock XR400 everywhere in glamis. its a workout and its not the fastest to the tops of the hills but it will do it without to much complaint.

here is a clip of a fairly steep dune from new years. i had basically no run at it and still had no issue.

http://contour.com/stories/0009-brawley-slide

Did you have a paddle? I've never been to Glamis with my XR400 and I'm heading out there on the 21st, friends recommend it but they say it's not necessary.

My XR400 did great in the dunes stock. I got a paddle before my first time out. They are fairly cheap, around $50, and will make it much easier to get around.

If its bone stock you might want to gear it down a little. My first time out it didn't have the power to get into 5th on flat sand. After a 426 upgrade I could top it out in 5th with the stock grating . Hit 70mph out there.

Did you have a paddle? I've never been to Glamis with my XR400 and I'm heading out there on the 21st, friends recommend it but they say it's not necessary.

yes, i say a paddle is a must out there if you want to keep up with people that have paddles and not struggle. ive ran pismo without a paddle without issue but i cant imagine trying to get around in the big dunes of glamis without one.

I have an '03 XR400R and have taken it MANY times to the Oregon dunes. It's a heavy bike but if you slap a paddle on the back you're golden. Didnt find a dune I couldnt climb.

It's flat out fast once you get on top the sand. Beat my buddy on his TRX450 quad and it was no competition. I will say that the only problem I found with my XR is on the back trails where you cant gun it and get on top of the sand. Even getting your weight as far back as you can, your front end will hit that soft sand and sink & slide. Makes steering on those trails a bit difficult so just be ware of that.

Stay to the open dunes tho and it'll climb anything.

Edited by Foxmann250

Cr250 better in the dunes than xr4.If you run your xr4 dont over heat it.

Aren't they starting to outlaw those now? I heard some states were pushing to only allow 4 strokes now.

CR250 is WAY better for the dunes, that's for sure. But for an all around bike I think I'd prefer the XR. Low maintenance and bulletproof. Also, the sound of the CR is a bit of a racket...

Edited by Foxmann250

Thats true on low maintenace xr4,but my old 87cr500.Only 1 piston, in the dunes with paddle tire unreal.If you keep your xr4 in the dunes too long.You will need more than a piston.I dont know of any place you can ride a two smoke

California in general has the strictest emissions laws. They didn't outlaw 2 strokes here, just restricted some old ones and won't let dealers sell new ones. Any 2003 or newer 2 stroke gets a red sticker when you register it. Any 2002 or older gets grandfathered and gets a green sticker. Green stickers are year round, red are controlled at some riding areas - typically no red sticker bikes from May-Sept or so, which for Glamis is a non-issue. But its not just 2 strokes. Even 2003+ 4 strokes that don't meet the "emission requirements" get a red sticker. Thankfully they don't smog them after you buy so you can fix the ultra lean jetting and remove the 10lbs of emissions crap once you get your bike home.

My XR has a Ca plate so I don't have either sticker and can also ride areas that are closed to OHV's but open to 4x4's (which is a lot of land in SoCal as it turns out). That's one of the reasons a plate in Ca almost doubles the value of an XR4.

ive done it, but dont like riding it there, feels too front heavy in my opinon. I have a white bros rev limiter which helps when staying in high rpms. Keep it to the trails/ desert