Sign in to follow this  

SXS Wave Seat or Factory Step Up Seat?

I am trying to decide between either the KTM Hard Parts SXS Wave Seat or Factory Step Up Seat. Anyone have experience with either of these seats? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each? I am leaning toward the Factory Step Up Seat.

I have the wave seat, I really liked it and it allowed me to move around and was fairly comfy. I have the acerbis x seat on now, and it is very hard but still fine, I stand a lot, it has amazing grip and I really don't think you could rip the cover.

I have the step set coming on Friday, just wanted to try it. I sat on a bike with it, it seems to have the same comfort level as the wave, but when you are in front of the step, you are really pushed forward which is fine for racing but I think you would sit father back if you were just riding around and the step may become uncomfortable.

I had a step seat on my yz250f and didn't like it that much. I rather a regular seat or the one with the waves/ripples better.

Go with KTM step seat,that factory wave seat is pretty much useless compared to stock one,X seat is also nice,VERY hard but i like it that way :smirk:

Anyways step seat is what I use and have tried them all.

I have the wave seat, I really liked it and it allowed me to move around and was fairly comfy. I have the acerbis x seat on now, and it is very hard but still fine, I stand a lot, it has amazing grip and I really don't think you could rip the cover.

I have the step set coming on Friday, just wanted to try it. I sat on a bike with it, it seems to have the same comfort level as the wave, but when you are in front of the step, you are really pushed forward which is fine for racing but I think you would sit father back if you were just riding around and the step may become uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

RedThumber088, Please let us know how the step seat works out for you.

I have the wave on both of my bikes and it's close to what the stocker was the first ride, they don't seem to have the krap foam that the stock ones had and have held up all year.

I'm curious what type of riding you guys who prefer the step-up seat do.

I was leaning toward the wave seat because for off road (hare scrambles) it seems that the step-up would just be in the way except for hill climbs. It's not like MX when there's one massive explosion of power after another to where you're constantly being jerked backwards---just smooth throttle from one corner to the next.

I also noticed that Charlie Mullins used the wave seat this year, as did Andrew Short in the pics I saw.

I've had a few brands of step seats. Of them the SDG was top notch. KTM's were OK.

They work great to keep you positioned during long off road races when you get tired.

But, a step seat will shorten the distance between the seat and pegs by 1 inch or more.

Depending on your height that one inch could make going from the seated to standing position a bit tougher. In a long race or ride this will take a toll.

While seated in a step seat taller riders will find it harder slide their leg off the peg because they'll be too scrunched (short distance from seat to peg)

Being 6'1" I found after running step seats for a few years I actually preferred the bump or wave seat in order to keep the seat to peg distance a little longer.

I cut a step into the seat of my old YZ250 bike for hare scrambles. It really helped to keep me forward near the tank when the going got rough or I'd have to do a sudden acceleration on a hill. With a powerful bike like that, it was easy to get into the backseat when you didn't want to be.

Wave and gripper seats just tend to pull my pants down when I slide backwards. Not fun.