Sign in to follow this  

Thicker Helmet Padding

This sounds like such a squid thing to do, but I bought the Shoei VFX-R on closeout from BTO. I would have gotten the large if there were any in stock but I had to go with the XL. My measurements were just a grunt to big for the Large and just a grunt to small for the XL.

Helmet fits pretty good and I love the feel but it is a tad loose. I've tried the Large Cheekpads from my buddies Large and his are the exact same pads as the XL. After switching them I remembered that Shoei and Arai are the companies that make different shell sizes for each size helmet.

Question is: is there some type of solution or company that can make the cheek pads a little thicker than they are? I don't want to mess with the protection, but I don't see where adding a little cheek foam would be a huge problem.

Thanks guys!

I think your fighting a losing battle, a helmet should fit snug,as the liners compress up to one third over time it will only get looser feeling. If it feels loose new, and pads aren't capable of getting it to feel snug, it may not protect as well as a cheaper properly fitted lid, and it's money wasted.

i think the xl comes with 31 cheek pads. you could try some 35's?

there is a sticker under the cheek pad that will tell you which it is.

Sell it and buy one that fits. I'd take a healthy brain over saving a few bucks any day.

Dude you bought the WRONG HELMET and what ever you do to it, it is not protect you is case of a hard hit. Don't wear it, sell it, put it on the shelf what ever. Buying a helmet that doesn't fit just because it's a top of the line brand name is just plain stupid.