Sign in to follow this  

California Trail bike transfer in CA...has no title! Help!

:banghead:Purchasing a trail bike…but it doesn’t have a title. It’s not stolen, the title was just misplaced and the original owner (last registered owner) doesn’t seem to want to be bothered with doing any paperwork since he sold it 3 years ago. The bike was never transferred by the person (new owner) who has the bike now and he wants to sell it.

Good price…but is the hassle a deal breaker?

there is a form that you send to the last reg owner by registered mail so you have proof, If they do not respond in certain time period then DMV processes it. Dont know the section they use, but know that was the proceedure a year or so ago.

:banghead:Purchasing a trail bike…but it doesn’t have a title. It’s not stolen, the title was just misplaced and the original owner (last registered owner) doesn’t seem to want to be bothered with doing any paperwork since he sold it 3 years ago. The bike was never transferred by the person (new owner) who has the bike now and he wants to sell it.

Good price…but is the hassle a deal breaker?

You go to the DMV will all the info you have; Vin, motor Vin, previous registered owner info, and they will tell you what the costs will be, what other paper work you might need, etc. I would do that before buying if the bike of the price is that special. Otherwise, wait for another one to come along.

its not a big deal, he can fill out the transfer of ownership, you dont need a title, or is long as its not stolen, you will need to bring the bike to DMV so they can verify the vin and its yours.

Is the green sticker up to date?

Make sure it has a clean title. It probably has a good amount of past due DMV fees

its not a big deal, he can fill out the transfer of ownership, you dont need a title, or is long as its not stolen, you will need to bring the bike to DMV so they can verify the vin and its yours.

I like this idea best. It's a drz125 for the kid and the price is in the area of $500. I know they'll be fees...past green stickers and such, but if the headackes aren't too bad...might be worth grabbing it.

Just did a transfer of a trail bike with no title. You will need a bill of sale, mine was just hand written. We had my name(buyer) and his name(seller). The price, date, the vin, sellers phone number and an old license number sticker. You go into the DMV and fill out a couple of forms. The DMV will want to do a physical inspection, just to see the frame number and the engine serial number. Then you take it to get a brake and light inspection if you want to get the street plate, you skip this step if you just want a green sticker. Then you have to have to take it to the CHP to have them run the vin and engine serial number. The CHP officer said their records go back further than the DMV. Then take all the signed forms back to the DMV and pay all the back license fees and for a title. That is it. As long as it's not stolen, it is just a bunch of steps to get a new title issued. Also, as soon as the registration is issued you have 30 days to get insurance if it has a street plate or the DMV will suspend the registration/license. If it's stolen, the CHP will seize it and you better have the Drivers License or some way to get a hold of the dude you bought it from.

you guys may have missed in the original post that the current owner is not the registered/legal owner. So from my knowledge DMV wont accept a bill of sale from someone who doesnt own it on paper. I had to do the attempt to contact the registerd/legal owner thing I described above. But try it n see what happens Johnnymac.

you guys may have missed in the original post that the current owner is not the registered/legal owner. So from my knowledge DMV wont accept a bill of sale from someone who doesnt own it on paper. I had to do the attempt to contact the registerd/legal owner thing I described above. But try it n see what happens Johnnymac.

Uhh, read my post. The dude I bought my trail bike from had nothing. And the person he got the bike from had nothing. All I had to do was fill out a declaration that I bought the bike off Craigs List yada yada and DMV accepts that. Of course, DMV clerk attached a copy of the "hand written" bill of sale to the declaration. That's all you need. As long as it's not stolen, DMV will check and so does the CHP, your golden.