Sign in to follow this  

Should I keep my 250f or go to 125?

Hey guys,

Right now I have a 06 yz 250f and I race moto in the summer and practice at a sand track sometimes. I've been watching alot of 125 videos and they look like a lot of fun. I see pros halling on them but I'm not a pro haha. I just need to know if u can be competitive on a 125 in moto against 250fs thanks

you might be competitve with the older 250f bikes, but I think the new ones are wite abit faster these days.. But then again, it has alot to do with your skill level also.

son had a 08 YZ250f and YZ125 (144), for racing the 250f was better, for pure riding fun the YZ125 was the bomb....got rid of the 250f and bought a YZ250 as he can race it against the 250fs....still have the 125 for me:)

I think a 125 would be a good bike to bring back the fun in motocross and teach you to just keep it pinned everywhere. But stock for stock, you will be a tad slower on the 125. However, if you can put 500 into the 125 motor and make it a 144, then you will be making a step up from your 06 250F.

I owned 6 250F's the past few years and now have 2 identical 125's in the garage...couldn't be happier. I realize I will never be pro and would rather have the most fun possible riding. :smirk:

if you have the skills you can run top 10 on a 125 with 250's. but at least around here if you look at results 125s dont really win any races and might break top 3 once in a while if theres a really talented kid on one. newer 250f's are faster though. if theres a kid you are the same speed as on a new 250f and you are on your yz250f and switch to the 125 you might fall back a little

Pretty much with the majority on this one, 250f is better for serious racing, 125 is better for serious fun.

I have to agree with everyone else. 125=fun 250F=win.

I have a 144, and have my ass handed to me at the races all the time. I can keep up on the straights, but the 250fs just track better coming out of corners. You can do well on a 125, but it's more work, and less forgiving. If you bog a 125, you're screwed. You need to late brake, and keep your corner speeds up on a 125. It will make you a better ride to learn on a 125 though.

I gave up trying to win races. I have more fun on a 125, so I said screw it. I don't care how I place, I just like riding, and nothing beats a 125 for play riding.

You can do well on a 125, but it's more work, and less forgiving. If you bog a 125, you're screwed. You need to late brake, and keep your corner speeds up on a 125. It will make you a better ride to learn on a 125 though.

I think MapleRidge sums it up perfectly with that statement.

I race a YZ250 in the 250F and Vet/B classes. Recently I picked up a YZ125 as a play/practice bike because it should help me improve my momentum through the corners and around the track.

There is a local 13 year old who weighs 100 pounds soaking wet. Just made the move out of Super Minis where he was a top-ranked regional MX racer and in off-road he was way up there nationally. Now he's in the Lites class, learning the ropes, and so far HIS ability is putting the hurt to the local Lites Beginner and Lites Junior racers aboard an 06 YZ 125. It's not the bike, it's him: his cornering speed is like watching a video game. In open practice he passes 450F intermediates and Vet Experts riding 250 two strokes and new 450F on the short to medium length straights because his corner speed prior to the straight is three times as fast! Like I said, it's watching a video game animation just fly by. And then he passes them on the outside of the next corner.

His dad also likes the easy maintenance (rest of the family rides 250F and 450F). You may like that aspect which attracts many fast guys to get on a 125 two stroke.

The 13 year old's brother is a 140 pound pro and he can destroy a lot of people on that same 125.....but when he races against his fast friends in the 250F Intermediate or Pro class that 125 is left behind. The brother will pull out the 250 two stroke which holds a slight advantage on some tracks compared to the new 250F. I digress, you're asking about the 125 vs 250F.

I've asked that 13 year old what his next bike plans are, and he said 250F for racing after he gets about 10% faster and stronger, but that 125 will stay as a practice and fun bike.

After rereading your post I presume you're a decent local MX racer. I'd go 250F.