Sign in to follow this  

Heat Can Damage an LED

LED bulbs that produce white light generate a lot of heat that needs to be conducted away from the LED. Proper thermal management is crucial to maintaining the original brightness and lifespan of you LED light. Unfortunately, due to component costs, many manufacturers do not include appropriate heat transferring materials, thereby trading cost for performance.

For example, most LED lighting manufacturers use less expensive FR4 circuit boards that do not transfer heat well. Baja Designs achieves superior heat dissipation using 2 methods. First, we use a more expensive metal core circuit board to efficiently transfer heat from the LED to the heat sink provided by the air cooled aluminum housing. In addition, where necessary, we employ an embedded microprocessor to carefully monitor the LED temp. this will automatically dim the light to prevent overheating.

Any questions feel free to ask!

• Like 1

How long has BD been using this technology?  I'm just wondering b/c I have LED turn signals that are several years old now and put on by the previous owner.

How long has BD been using this technology?  I'm just wondering b/c I have LED turn signals that are several years old now and put on by the previous owner.

Baja Designs has had this type of CopperDrive® thermal management since our first LED light bar the Stealth LED Light bar series. This extensive heat management is not needed in such LED turn signals due to their minute power draw and such little use. However in LED headlights, auxiliary lights and LED Light bars an effective thermal management is very crucial.