Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report - Taming the mighty TM 300en

I just got back from a week in the desert in the Spangler OHV area near Ridgecrest CA. I am extremely happy with the changes in my TM. As stated in my previous post I was try to take the hard mid hit out of my TM by using the smallest base gasket, thus lowering the port timing and raising the compression. Advancing the timing 3 degrees and putting a 36mm PWK on instead of my 38MM Airstriker. I also changed the electrical to use a battery. so I could use a GPS and have steady headlight power.

Now My TM is like a KTM 300 on steroids, where as, before, it was like it was on nitro. The low end pull is phenomenal and will now pull like a tractor. There still is a mid hit, but it is much more tame, plus I didn't seem to lose much on top.

Most of my week was taking the kids and less advanced riders on new trails. Therefore I did most of my riding in the lower part of the power band. Since these riders tend to fall down more, I spent a lot of time going cross country on shale hills. One of the concerns was that I may have too much low snap, but that wasn't the case. The low was very smooth and provide excellent response, but did not induce any un necessary wheel spin.

Also, my electrical system worked great. For it I ran the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the 3 yellow wires on a 1997 DR350 VR and used a high power 12V RC battery pack. Now my headlight does not change brightness with RPM, I don't need batteries for my GPS and I can toot my horn when ever I want to. A horn is a nice thing to have on group rides. You can get riders attention when needed, plus it's just plain fun. :smirk:

Very cool I was wondering how your changes would work out. Glad it's performing the way you want it to. They are sweet looking bikes with tons of power. Thanks for the update; enjoy :smirk:!

The only issue I had with the bike the whole week was oil spooge (drool). I do not believe that it was a matter of jetting, since I had great throttle responce. I think it was more a matter of my riding style. The only time I cranked it on was when I was in big sand washes. Even when I climbed some big hills, I didn't ring it out. I would ususally start climbing in third, then go to second if needed. It was a fun week to experiment with my mods. So even if I have to repack the silencer after a week of riding ($20), the changes are well worth it. :bonk:

I also tried a pipe coating method I learned from the street world. If you run a bare pipe and hate the maintenace, coat it with mop n glow. It gives the pipe a slight brown color, but there is no rust. It also has a cool color change at any high heat areas. It makes the bare pipes virtually maintenance free. :smirk:

Great tip on the pipe maintenance. My son's TM pipe would flash rust right after a wash everytime until I coated it with some synthetic oil product. I'll have to tell him about the mop n glow. Thanks.

Ha never heard of mop and glow. In the day my old man would ride his bikes to get the pipe warm then put cooking oil on them to seal them up and they always stayed rust free :bonk:

Good to hear the changes made the difference on that beast :smirk:

I found out about the mop n glow on a Yamaha RD 350 site. I have had my pipe coated with it since last Easter and no rust at all. From waht I have heard, you want to give it a fresh coat anytime you wash the bike.