Sign in to follow this  

Gas Bladder / Bags?

Where do you get the 1 gal or less bags that you can shove in a backpack to carry gas ??

Thanks

Boy oh boy, I hope somebody's got a line on those jewels! My Husaberg's tank has a 2.1 gallon capacity, so I really NEED one of these fuel bladders. Anybody?

MSR bladders are at REI. Get bigger than you need so it is more squishable, plus more capacity is always better. They take up no space. I'd recommend the heavier duty black.

10-4, MSR from REI or online. The HD black ones also have lashing straps. I have a carbiner on the top of my pack I hook it to when full, also catch a couple extra compression straps on the pack. Work great.

Dirtdogs, the MSR bags at REI seem to be for water. Is that what you meant, or was there something else that you had in mind?

I've used the black MSR bags before in Baja and the eastern sierras/nevada desert. If you're going to go the MSR route, don't try it with the red bags, they're a more ultralight version - stick with the heavy duty black ones. I believe that MSR specs them for water only, but they seem to work fine for gas. Mine seemed to smell a little bit (venting fumes?) - but it sure beats carrying bulkier hard fuel containers. There's some more expensive options out there that are actually designed for gasoline - but they're very spendy. Maybe someone remembers the company - I think they're Australian.

I was poking around the internet awhile ago and ran across some that were silver bags very similar to a starbucks gallon coffee bag but heavy duty made to store gas / camping fuel.

cannot find now.

Yes, the "MSR" are for water. However I started with the thinner purple one at least 10 years ago. Filled it with gas and threw it in the back of my truck for a week, held-up fine.

The HD black has worked real well, they do smell a little.

Holy cow. I'm astounded by the price tag.

That is crazy $$$!

The REI bags are Baja proven it seems, the DA crew uses them for their Rip to the Tip rides.

mtz

I've seen the rip to tip riders useing them. Is the 6L or 4L recommended?

I've seen the rip to tip riders useing them. Is the 6L or 4L recommended?

the 10 L bag will haul 2.6 Gal the 6L =1.5 Gal. and the 4L=1.05 gal I'm going to Baja for ten day at the end of the month I think I like the 10L for me personally and you don't have to fill it up all the way, this was a good thread to stumble into these bag beat hauling my normal 2 1 gal plastic jug

Dave

Just saw them at REI

Nice units

The Hippies working there did not think dirt bikes were cool. Bunch of tree hugging granola eating, wait, I like granola.

F them.

MSR bladders are at REI. Get bigger than you need so it is more squishable, plus more capacity is always better. They take up no space. I'd recommend the heavier duty black.

REI also has the Platypus flexible water bottle that works good for gas. Capacity is 2 liters and cost about $12.

Jack

Just saw them at REI

Nice units

The Hippies working there did not think dirt bikes were cool. Bunch of tree hugging granola eating, wait, I like granola.

F them.

Exactly. They support the Sierra Club. Don't buy from them, you only help them shut down our trails when you do.

I'm going to drop by my local outdoor shop today and see if they've got those black MSR Dromedary Bags. I have several collapsible Platypus canteens, so I know what they're like. I want to look at how the top seals on the MSRs. In both cases I'm sure that the material will hold up to gasoline, but the seals are of equal importance. I want to be sure that exposure to gasoline won't degrade them and lead to leakage. That would be bad.

Those rabid greenies are true believers, and what they believe in is essentially a godless religion. They can be pretty obnoxious about it, and they are not alone. The world is absolutely full of people who will unequivically tell you what you need, what's right, what's wrong, and what you should do. I don't enjoy that much, and try not to do that to others. I'm as opinionated as anybody, but I do my best to not be prescriptive.