Sign in to follow this  

Georgia Durhamtown accident

Went riding for the first time in nearly four years with my son that just graduated from college... My first time a Durhamtown, and sadly on Friday, December 30th there was a serious accident that may have been a fatality. We saw folks giving CPR for 20-30 minutes before EMS arrived, and everyone concluded that the young man was killed. This is the second time in my riding career that my son and I have witnessed a fatality. I have to admit I am deeply troubled by this, and question myself, as a father, introducing my son to this sport. Just before the incident, I was admiring all the families enjoying the time together and the sport. It certainly is a sport with ultimate consequences, and I am not sure how I would handle being the father of this fallen rider. My prayers to the family; my confidence is that the boy is in a better place.

I must say that this hits home very hard. Both my sons started riding when I got back into the sport about 5 years ago. Durhamtown was and still is a favorite riding spot for us. I have watched my boys go from struggling to stay on 2 wheels to racing competitively in MX and Harescrambles. They do jumps that I would never think of doing. Every time I hear something like this it makes me think how that could be my boys. We take precautions and wear all the safety gear but as we know riding off road involves a certain amount of uncontrolable risk.

This young man was a credit to his family and a rare example for other young people to follow. I never met him but read the article posted and I firmly believe his faith will help his family through this difficult time and he is with God.

Is is unfortunate that Durhamtown will again get "bad press" by those who do not know or understand why we ride dirt bikes. It is a great place to ride and they do all they can to make it as safe as possible. However as with any action sport there is danger and risk involved that each person has to come to terms with and decide what is acceptable risk and what is not.

Life is very fragile and can be cut short at anytime. We never know when our time is up but when that time comes we would be fortunate to go doing the things we love.

Mark C

Sounds terrible, but accidents do happen in life.

Funny how people rarely think anything at all about the endless string of people killed in automobile accidents, something like 40000 a year in the US alone. it is apparently a given that people will die in their cars but in the case of a motorcycle crash related fatality, the riding of the motorcycle is immediately called into question.

• Like 1

This kid was one of our locals. I didnt know him personally but knew of him and it has hit everyone in our community pretty hard. He seemed like a really good kid with a bright future. The bible verse as a race number tells you something about his faith. Its truly sad.

God speed 316

I hate reading this stuff, wish I didn't open this thread

Rip In Peace Alec Dylan First "Lefty #316"

MAX!!!

My thoughts are with his family, friends and fellow riders.

Although we (dirtbikers) know the ultimate consequences of the sport we love, I think all of us would rather go out riding on 2 wheels than any other way. Maybe that's just how I hope I go.

Don

it is always sad to hear about someone getting hurt.. RIP Lefty

RIP. It's always sad to see people go young.

Very curious which track, or trail this was on, because although it can happen anywhere, my son was on MX1 and six inches more to the right, the guy that landed on him doing a whip on the finish jump, would have killed him. Instead he landed on his arm and wiped him out and pieces of bike flying everywhere. Only two of us on the track and the guy's excuse was "I thought I had more room."

Reason I mention MX1 was they've had a few deaths at that track if I heard correctly. Maybe they need to change something.

One of the hardest things to read are the threads like this. As a father, this is one of my biggest fears and my prayers are with that family.

Not sure about MX 1 but MX 6 and 5 (there right next to each other) had a fatality a while back. A kid went off the track and hit a tree. I hear Mike (owner) recently almost lost his stepson or son (not sure which) who crashed on one of the tracks. He was in serious conditions for a week but looks like he will be ok now.

When my youngest was on and RM 85 he would ride all the MX tracks here in Florida and was very capable of handling the jumps and other riders. However he got landed on at Pax track when a guy came over a big jump (it was a blind jump where you cannot see the other side till you are in the air). My son was all the way to one side almost off the jump when the guy landed on him. The track had no flaggers and they mixed all skill levels and bike sizes together (not good). We tend to go to tracks that have flaggers and break up the sessions between big bike/small bike/beginners/novice/advanced. There is no reason for someone to be that aggressive on a track when it is not a race. Whenever I come up on small bikes or riders I can tell are beginners or novices I always give them plenty of room.

Mark C

Prayers to the family. As a father of two boys, I cannot fathom how terrible this loss has been to you. Just know that he is with God and at peace.

GODSPEED #316

Not sure about MX 1 but MX 6 and 5 (there right next to each other) had a fatality a while back. A kid went off the track and hit a tree. I hear Mike (owner) recently almost lost his stepson or son (not sure which) who crashed on one of the tracks. He was in serious conditions for a week but looks like he will be ok now.

When my youngest was on and RM 85 he would ride all the MX tracks here in Florida and was very capable of handling the jumps and other riders. However he got landed on at Pax track when a guy came over a big jump (it was a blind jump where you cannot see the other side till you are in the air). My son was all the way to one side almost off the jump when the guy landed on him. The track had no flaggers and they mixed all skill levels and bike sizes together (not good). We tend to go to tracks that have flaggers and break up the sessions between big bike/small bike/beginners/novice/advanced. There is no reason for someone to be that aggressive on a track when it is not a race. Whenever I come up on small bikes or riders I can tell are beginners or novices I always give them plenty of room.

Mark C

Yea about a month ago a kid maybe 9 got landed on by a quad over the big jump going into back. That just is blind as hell no flaggers on the track at all.

I asked pax one day get a few guys on the weekends to flag for the day and the next weekend let them ride free he looked at me like I had six eyes.

I hate going there the track is to wild at times.

We were at Pax a couple of weeks ago and they actually had a couple of flaggers. Not too many people there since Bithlo was holding a LL Qualifyer.

Mark C

We were at Pax a couple of weeks ago and they actually had a couple of flaggers. Not too many people there since Bithlo was holding a LL Qualifyer.

Mark C

That's good to hear they need a few there.