Sign in to follow this  

2012 kawi kx450f? advice on hop ups and set up

this is a post for any one that has a 2012 kawi 450. I plan on buying one this upcoming spring after taxes and after I sell for 08 kawi 250f.

I was just wanting some recommendations on "mandatory" hop ups, recommended hop ups and so on. this will be the last bike I buy for at least the next 5 if not 10 years. being that I am in the military and I don't get to ride as much as I would like.

But it will also be my bike that I pull out all the stops on. Powdered coated fame, subframe, and swing arm. custom wheel set, suspension by either enzo or pro circuit, etc, etc.....

so to finish it up. just basically askin for overall advice and opinions on hop ups and set up. I am almost 30, I'm a novice class rider. I will either ride 450C or 30 plus. I'm not as fast as I was when I was in my early twenties, but I don't wad up as much either. cause I don't ride over my head. I am 5'9 and I weigh between 150-160. So once again any hop and set up tips for my soon to be sweet fo fiddy would be much appreciated from any guys out there already with a '12 kawi 450.

thanks to any and all who take the time to read and respond.

this is a post for any one that has a 2012 kawi 450. I plan on buying one this upcoming spring after taxes and after I sell for 08 kawi 250f.

I was just wanting some recommendations on "mandatory" hop ups, recommended hop ups and so on. this will be the last bike I buy for at least the next 5 if not 10 years. being that I am in the military and I don't get to ride as much as I would like.

But it will also be my bike that I pull out all the stops on. Powdered coated fame, subframe, and swing arm. custom wheel set, suspension by either enzo or pro circuit, etc, etc.....

so to finish it up. just basically askin for overall advice and opinions on hop ups and set up. I am almost 30, I'm a novice class rider. I will either ride 450C or 30 plus. I'm not as fast as I was when I was in my early twenties, but I don't wad up as much either. cause I don't ride over my head. I am 5'9 and I weigh between 150-160. So once again any hop and set up tips for my soon to be sweet fo fiddy would be much appreciated from any guys out there already with a '12 kawi 450.

thanks to any and all who take the time to read and respond.

your lucky,fork and shock springs are pretty close for your weight.T.M designs rear chain guide is a must,take that silly chain off and put a oring on right from the get go.and then when the sprockets wear out,put some iron man sprockets on.depending on the track your on you can put a softer hitting map in ,you can go with a 51 tooth rear sprocket size ,pipes kinda loud ,so maybe a slip on.try108mm-105mm sag in the rear and the forks 8mm to 12 mm up in the clamps..other than that,ride it like you stole it.

Actually I'm thinking about bumping up my sag to the 106-108 range (5'11/ 195lbs, Vet. Novice Rider). I'm having a hard time getting that back end to settle right now (yes I have the suspension done). Possibly even the Ride Engineering link as well.

I would also replace the front rotor with an aftermarket (I went with the Braking). I'll be posting some pictures soon.

Why so much sag?

It works well that much sag. I tried anywhere from 100mm to 110mm sag and ended up at 107mm. I use the bike for off-road and it was more stable in rocks and would squat better out of the turns.

I had the suspension done right away, I'm 6'2 215lbs, expert off-road.

your lucky,fork and shock springs are pretty close for your weight.T.M designs rear chain guide is a must,take that silly chain off and put a oring on right from the get go.and then when the sprockets wear out,put some iron man sprockets on.depending on the track your on you can put a softer hitting map in ,you can go with a 51 tooth rear sprocket size ,pipes kinda loud ,so maybe a slip on.try108mm-105mm sag in the rear and the forks 8mm to 12 mm up in the clamps..other than that,ride it like you stole it.

sweet. thanks for the info. I was def thinkin of goin to the softer map right away considering it will be my first 450 and I'm actually closer to the 145-150 lb range. kinda of a lean/thin dude, so guessin the stock map will be a little gnarly for me. and what are iron man sprockets? never heard of em before. is it an actual brand. or is it somethin offered from renthal or pro taper, etc....

Its a sprocket brand with steel teeth. The sag settings mentioned work well! The stock exhaust is louuud. Not bad ass loud, annoying loud. My Yoshimura full system sounds nice and smooth.

Curious to what color you will be powder coating the frame, SF, SA? I think anything but natural aluminum is a bit over the top. If you want the bling/ unique factor, customizable graphics/ number plates are the way to go. Just my opinion.

Is anyone having issues with their oil filter housing? I did the first oil change yesterday and cannot get the housing past the second o-ring.

I have lubed the o rings and the housing when installing and I know the filter is installed properly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Its kind of a pain, just use even pressure and dont push on the bolt hole tabs too hard.

I tried even pressure and cannot get it past the second o-ring. I am afraid to use the bolts to pull it up. Any other ideas?

I tried even pressure and cannot get it past the second o-ring. I am afraid to use the bolts to pull it up. Any other ideas?

I would take the o-rings and oil filter off the cover and see if it will go on that way,to eliminate those as the problem.

Hope this helps

Ernie

Ive used the bolts before. Just be very careful if it doesnt make progress as youre turning the bolt.

Actually I'm thinking about bumping up my sag to the 106-108 range (5'11/ 195lbs, Vet. Novice Rider). I'm having a hard time getting that back end to settle right now (yes I have the suspension done). Possibly even the Ride Engineering link as well.

I would also replace the front rotor with an aftermarket (I went with the Braking). I'll be posting some pictures soon.

I know what u mean by the rear end not settling! it makes the bike feel heavier than it is.

In my experience, this can be changed for the better, with a simple shock revalve.

My local suspension guy, made my rebound stack firmer, (removed a pair of clamp shims+ adding a single faceshim, roughly speaking..) and also made the compression stack just a bit firmer ( removed one clampshim a far as I recall) this is of course a bit un-detailed information, but the idea is to be able to run the rebound adjuster much further out (about 17-22 clicks) making more oil bleed by at lower speeds, this makes it much more sensitive/plush, and the firmer valving takes over/makes up lower in the stroke at higher speeds.

It improves the overall feel of the bike a lot.

Just my experience on wich direction to go, again, very roughly speaking...

• Like 1

to be honest, the bike needs nothing. It is way more bike than you could use. But if you want some hop ups, I would start with a 2 stage UNI filter, FMF RCT Ti 4.1 pipe with mega bomb header. only adds 1 hp, then get your suspension right and dialed in, controls are a must Sunlines, the bike is so strong stock. The only reason I got the pipe, is that I get great deals on them.

to be honest, the bike needs nothing. It is way more bike than you could use. But if you want some hop ups, I would start with a 2 stage UNI filter, FMF RCT Ti 4.1 pipe with mega bomb header. only adds 1 hp, then get your suspension right and dialed in, controls are a must Sunlines, the bike is so strong stock. The only reason I got the pipe, is that I get great deals on them.

Honestly, why would anyone with a little suspension struggle, go and buy another airfilter and a pipe for an already plenty healthy 450

engine ? I agree that this bike is amazing! But any rider could and would benefit from a little refinement here and there ;) most of it can be done with a small amount of money ..

your lucky,fork and shock springs are pretty close for your weight.

You sure? I don't have any firsthand experience, but Ping and Lechien both mentioned that it's sprung for a ~200lbs rider.

http://www.racerxonl...2-450f-shootout

Edit: According to the Race Tech site, it looks like it's sprung for a 185-190lb rider.

Edited by corndog

On my 12' I usually run the softer map and I run a 49t rear sprocket to tame the power a bit. I've had the suspension done by Dave j at Smart Performance and I couldn't be happier with how well it works. I've changed to the chain slider and chain guide to the TM designs with an O-Ring chain. The Front Brakes need help. I switched to the most aggressive pad Galfer makes, With a steel braided line and Hi-temp fluid and it works very good and I saved about $250 vs. the oversized rotor. I also have a Yosh pipe mostly to be sure my bike will meet the 96 db limits at some tracks, but the stock can is VERY heavy, most anything would be lighter. The bike is a bit heavy and with the very strong motor it is really important to dial in the suspension. I ride the 30 expert class and I'm 6' 195