Sign in to follow this  

Rod play. Side to Side. Is this normal? (Video)

I dropped two valves so obviously it messed up my head, piston, and cams. Just wondering if anyone thinks I have bottom end damage. Its a 2006 kx450f thanks!

doubt it, look at yur oil, if it was damaged there should be bronze shavings in your filter and oil.

Cut the paper element off your filter and stretch it out. The contents will tell you alot abotu what is / has gone on. Like was said - look for gold / bronze flakes (rod brearing).

Assuming your oil is ok, don't check for big end wear the way you wiggled the rod small end in your video.

The sideways wear is checked using feeler gauges. Slide one down each side of the big end (next to crank wheel half) and check the gap is less than 20 thou (0.6mm). If you are at 0.6mm or more then you need a new crank+rod assembly. Standard/new is less than 14 thou (0.35mm).

You could check for any up/down freeplay. By hand you should feel none (like you said in your video), since it should be less than two thou. And less than 0.0006 in (0.014mm) is standard.

Just wondering if anyone thinks I have bottom end damage. Its a 2006 kx450f.

not saying this is your case, but droppng valves usually bends the rod