Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR650L trouble starting

I have a Honda XR650L that sometimes has trouble starting. Ill go out and try to start it one day and it will crank over really hard like it wants to start but just wont do it. Then Ill go out there a day or two later and it will start after I give it a couple small flicks of the throttle, then after that it will start good with no problem for a week. It just keeps going through the cycle of not starting at all, to starting hard, to starting great. Its frustrating! lol Iv tried the cdi box, spark plug and coil, cleaned the carb a little, and a couple other things. I just dont know what the problem is. If anybody could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Try the XR sub-forum, some of those dudes know these things better than the guys who made them.

+1 probably best to click on dirt bike and scroll down and click on xr650/600, and submit your query there.

That said. I've had my xr since 2002 and have experienced difficult starting sporadically. There are many variables that could affect starting: how cold, how thick the oil, what you do with the choke, state of battery, plug, dirty/corroded connection at the coil and a million others.

I keep mine on a battery tender and still have occasional starting episodes. If it doesn't crank over after a couple seconds with the choke on full, stop, move choke to the half-off position and try again for a couple more seconds. If it still doesn't start, turn choke off completely and nudge the throttle a hair while trying to start again. If it still doesn't start, let it sit for 10-15 mins and try again.

Post your query on the xr650 section and you'll be able to ascertain more technical responses.

cleaned the carb a little,

What do you mean? You either clean it thoroughly or your wasting your time...

I would replace the pilot jet , after a proper clean ,and see if that makes a difference..

Then check valve clearances...

I rode mine today and yesterday @ 50 degs in PA.........psyched me up now, ya hear me. two days after xmas and now two in the first week of Jan. I can tell you this though: wet roads at 40-50 degs are slipperier than wet roads at 70-80 degs. Must have something to do with molecule contraction?

Anyway, pulled the choke in (warmed-up) at about 50mph and the engine stumbled significantly. I believe the choke is hyper-sensitive, at least mine is, and this could be the culprit with sporadic starting issues. Haven't had any issues with not starting when I'm cognizant of the "choke affect".

I have a Honda XR650L that sometimes has trouble starting. Ill go out and try to start it one day and it will crank over really hard like it wants to start but just wont do it. Then Ill go out there a day or two later and it will start after I give it a couple small flicks of the throttle, then after that it will start good with no problem for a week. It just keeps going through the cycle of not starting at all, to starting hard, to starting great. Its frustrating! lol Iv tried the cdi box, spark plug and coil, cleaned the carb a little, and a couple other things. I just dont know what the problem is. If anybody could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Pilot jet passage is probably partially clogged, or your choke plunger is corroded and not sealing properly, or the same, each time you use it.

Edited by Krannie