Sign in to follow this  

Best pipe for YZ144?

I got Eric Gorr to do a 144 kit for my bike. He used the "mo power" porting, to broaden the power. Runs great, nice meaty powerband, but I think it could use an aftermarket exhaust. (I'm running stock.)

I've got the V-force reed, but need to find an exhaust that will best complement the big bore. Eric Gorr said that DEP makes a 144 specific exhaust, but from what I see, they just have exhaust for a YZ125/144, meaning it will work for either or, it's not made specific for the big bore.

My question is, what pipe silencer combo works best with the big bore? I don't want to sacrifice too much bottom end power if I can avoid it, but it would be nice if the bike would breath a bit better and rev a bit further.

What are people running, and are you happy with it?

My bike is an 06.

I got Eric Gorr to do a 144 kit for my bike. He used the "mo power" porting, to broaden the power. Runs great, nice meaty powerband, but I think it could use an aftermarket exhaust. (I'm running stock.)

I've got the V-force reed, but need to find an exhaust that will best complement the big bore. Eric Gorr said that DEP makes a 144 specific exhaust, but from what I see, they just have exhaust for a YZ125/144, meaning it will work for either or, it's not made specific for the big bore.

My question is, what pipe silencer combo works best with the big bore? I don't want to sacrifice too much bottom end power if I can avoid it, but it would be nice if the bike would breath a bit better and rev a bit further.

My bike is an 06.

i was running a pro circuit on my 144, but found the stock pipe seemed to have a little more low end(imo)...so i'm still running the stock pipe

i don't ride mx, so i don't need all that top end

Which pro circuit were you running?

I thinking that the DEP torque is going to be my best bet. It's supposed to give a bit more power all around, and free up the revs a bit, that's what I'm looking for.

Which pro circuit were you running?

I thinking that the DEP torque is going to be my best bet. It's supposed to give a bit more power all around, and free up the revs a bit, that's what I'm looking for.

sorry, i'm not really sure,was on the bike when i got it, and was a bit rough! About all I could make out was pro curcuit.

Both PC pipes are the same, except that one is plated, the other isn't.

It's a good mid-top pipe. The stock pipe is really good as well.

I just put a Dep on my EG 144 (mid top porting), FMF shorty, stock reeds etc....seems to be running great, a bit of deeper tone... to be honest though I'm not good enough or experinced enought to know if it is really better then stock.

I run a HGS 144 pipe on my baby, makes excellent power (no where near as much as a HP bike) and is very easy to jet the bike with this pipe on.

I run the FMF factory fatty on mine '06 gorr modded mid/top porting with high compression head and the V3 and it gives the bike great broader style power. the Pro circuit pipe is a mid/top pipe they designed it for a 125 and the header has more of a hook design which is great for mid/top.

I used a PC pipe on my 134. Went back and forth with the stock pipe and didn't see much difference. I prefered the PC though because my bike had a lot of low end power but kind of fell flat at high RPMs.

I'm building a 144 now, and I have a Scalvini pipe on order with the 144 silencer. The guy at Scalvini told me it was more of a low-mid pipe so I'll adjust the porting to get a little more overrev. In the spring I'll do a 4 pipe comparison (Factory Fatty, PC, Scalvini, OEM) and run the one I like most.

My bike is an 06.

all depends how you ride or what, the gnary is great at bottom, less at end,

the fmf sst is great for track, do research and you find out what pipe best fits you riding style

It's really the soup of the day.

Every porting arrangement likes one specific pipe...as the pipe and the ports are tuned together.

IE if cylinder A has more exhaust timing than cylinder B but identical transfer timings - the pipe will need at minimum a longer header or slightly more volume (usually hand in hand) to delay suction pulse to time correctly with transfer opening and close..

If cylinder C makes much more power than cylinder D but power is desired at same RPM, the pipe will need to be slightly longer in general to account for higher average pipe temperatures (more hot spent charge = larger temperature rise in pipe)

So once a motor builder has found either a porting arrangement to work with a given pipe (how most have to do it since most buy off the shelf pipes), or makes a pipe to work with a given porting arrangement - that's usually what you should go off of. I mean - do you really think in the two stroke days that the pipe they ran that looked stamped was anything like what you bought?

Its also why the factories ran cone pipes forever..it matched the porting and power delivery goals as best as possible.

• Like 1

It's really the soup of the day.

Every porting arrangement likes one specific pipe...as the pipe and the ports are tuned together.

IE if cylinder A has more exhaust timing than cylinder B but identical transfer timings - the pipe will need at minimum a longer header or slightly more volume (usually hand in hand) to delay suction pulse to time correctly with transfer opening and close..

If cylinder C makes much more power than cylinder D but power is desired at same RPM, the pipe will need to be slightly longer in general to account for higher average pipe temperatures (more hot spent charge = larger temperature rise in pipe)

So once a motor builder has found either a porting arrangement to work with a given pipe (how most have to do it since most buy off the shelf pipes), or makes a pipe to work with a given porting arrangement - that's usually what you should go off of. I mean - do you really think in the two stroke days that the pipe they ran that looked stamped was anything like what you bought?

Its also why the factories ran cone pipes forever..it matched the porting and power delivery goals as best as possible.

So Derek, are saying that if you build/port a 144 to match with the standard pipe and then put a 144 specific pipe or any after market pipe on it, it will not run any better?