05 crf450x

Never heard that one before. Whats the problem?

Using the check bolt to determine oil levels is like looking out the window to determine the weather: it's not consistent, it's not complete, and it's often wrong.

Oil in your transmission is not held in a 'tub'; there are nooks and crannies and shelves for the oil to sit in. The only way it's accurate is if you do it exactly the same time from the first time you put in oil; same engine run time, same level of bike, same amount of trans operating time, etc etc.

You can start the bike, run it, and check the level with the bolt, and what will it tell you? If there is oil, but not how much.

Just put in a quart every time, change it every 3 rides or less, and be done with it.

I guess when I asked what the problem was I was forgetting what the issue was. I've always run almost a full quart on the tranny side. I was thinking the engine side which I go by the dipstick or window(have an R also). But I also check by the bolt in between changes to be safe and out of habit. After the bike has run, then shut down and sat for a few minutes I'll check the bolt while on the kickstand so it is leaning away, and as long as oil weeps from the hole, no worries, I know there is sufficient oil in there. Never know how much, just if there is enough. I've never measured, because you never know how much, unless you just did a teardown, is left in there after draining. 8000+ miles, no problems and still the original clutch.?

Edited by crfxer