1977 yz250 need information

I am going to be inheriting a 1977 yz250 off of my girlfriends uncle who is the original owner of the bike. It has been sitting in his old house since 1978 untouched and he told me if I dont get it off him when he cleans out his old house he is going to scrap it. So I told him I would take it off his hands when he gets around to gettin it out of the house. :smirk: I have acouple questions on this bike. I know parts are hard to find but what other year motor parts are interchangable? Also, what would you do either restore it or rebuild it and make it a buddy bike for people who want to go ride but dont have a bike?

Who says parts are hard to find? So far, I've had no problem with the hard parts. Parts like OEM side panels, fenders, exhaust, and tanks are a different story. You may find a replacement close to the original.

Parts are real easy to get for the old yamaha yz's,,for the most parts. 77-81 was about the same bike, they used the same piston for years after the 77. Maybe even up to 82??

I found a NEW cdi for my yamaha 75 mx250 on flea bay for cheap and many other parts too.

I am mainly worried about the crank needing replaced and I checked out bikebandit and they have almost everything for the bike I hope I get my hands on the old YZ soon:ride:

Finally picked the old beast up sadly she is in pieces :bonk: I started cleaning parts up and putting it together as far as i can he gave me the bulk of the parts. he told me as he came across parts he will give them to me so in the mean time I repacked the stem bearings got the front end all together, shock, tank, swing arm, air box, and rear motor mount mounted. Im just curious about the year though. What shoud the letter be in the vin to destinguish it is a 77?

Finally picked the old beast up sadly she is in pieces :bonk: I started cleaning parts up and putting it together as far as i can he gave me the bulk of the parts. he told me as he came across parts he will give them to me so in the mean time I repacked the stem bearings got the front end all together, shock, tank, swing arm, air box, and rear motor mount mounted. Im just curious about the year though. What shoud the letter be in the vin to destinguish it is a 77?

first 3 letters on the frame should be 1w4 for a 1977 yz 250

Thanks I will check it tonight when I get home and hopefully post some pics up of her :bonk:

• Like 1

77 was the first good year for the Yamaha single shock. 75-76 was (is) a real non-adjustable pogo stick. My 75 (that i now own)has a custom shock piston that i had to make myself.The77 had some adjustment with the clicker near the head. I had a 77 125 back in the day...really nice handling bike!!!

I checked the vin and it is a 77. Im actually suprised the frame and the case vin# match. Does any one know if the tube from a 125 that runs from the airbox to the carb will work on this 250 cause he said he may not have it?

Thanks :bonk: Im going to most likely snag that up. I was thinking of things to do with this bike after I get it up and running again. Since I already have two bikes that I ride, would this bike be a decent buddy bike? Why I ask is cause I got alot of friends that would love to ride but they dont have the cash to drop on a half way decent bike. I figure it would be a decent loaner bike cause its air cooled so no radiators that could be damaged also I payed nothing for it so all I will have in it is the price of parts to get her running again. Any thoughts on this being a good idea or not?.

Thanks :bonk: Im going to most likely snag that up. I was thinking of things to do with this bike after I get it up and running again. Since I already have two bikes that I ride, would this bike be a decent buddy bike? Why I ask is cause I got alot of friends that would love to ride but they dont have the cash to drop on a half way decent bike. I figure it would be a decent loaner bike cause its air cooled so no radiators that could be damaged also I payed nothing for it so all I will have in it is the price of parts to get her running again. Any thoughts on this being a good idea or not?.

Are you kidding? I think it's a great idea! I'm actually trying to do the same thing, trying to keep #1 bike running while trying to get #2 useable.

I like the concept. In fact....Can I be your buddy?

Disculpen tengo un motor de yamaha y buscando encontré que es el de la yamaha yz250 de 1977, la revise y esta en condiciones y en buen estado el motor solo que no puedo echar a andar porque no se como debe ir el sistema de ignición el cual por lo que busque y lo poco que encontré es el único modelo que viene con un rotor central, me pueden ayudar con el diagrama u orientarme de como debe ir el cableado desde el sistema de ignición hasta la bobina para que la bujía mande chispa? 

On 20/2/2012 at 8:43, yamaha_sasquatch said:

las primeras 3 letras en el marco deben ser 1w4 para un año 1977 yz 250 

Me tocó la gran fortuna de conseguir un motor de yz250 y lo poco que encontré el único igual es  de la 1977 como me aseguro de que si es si solo tengo el motor, y quiero pedir su apoyo para que me ayuden a echarlo a andar ya lo revise y todo esta bien el motor parece estar en  STD sin daños ni desgaste, solo  tengo una duda y un problema, lleva un sistema de ignición con rotor centraly a lo que encontré solo ese modelo lo lleva pero mi moto no tiene el sistema completo solo bobina captora y bobina generadora de energía con rotor central de las cuales salen 3 cables, 1 rojo, 1 café  y 1 blanco con rojo, me podrían decir que le falta y como va el diagrama o como conectar las partes faltantes para instalarle su bobina y poder encender el motor? 

Edited by alex medina

For those that don't read Spanish ..........

Alex Medina said -

I got the great fortune of getting a yz250 engine and the little I found the only one is the same as in 1977, I assure you that if it is only I have the engine, and I want to ask your support to help me start it now I checked it and everything is fine the engine seems to be in STD without damage or wear, I only have one question and a problem, it has an ignition system with rotor centraly to what I found only that model takes it but my bike does not have the complete system only pickup coil and power coil with central rotor from which 3 cables, 1 red, 1 coffee and 1 white with red, you can tell me what is missing and how the diagram goes or how to connect the missing parts to install your coil and be able to start the engine?