Sign in to follow this  

1998 cr250

okay i was debating on a 98 cr250, iv herd that the frames are junk on theses bikes,,and i herd that they had bad handling and they were very long. what wants me to have one of these bikes is that i love the style of the 98, and i was told that the 98's had the best engine. please tell me if the 98 cr250 is worth my time or not,, i dont race but i do ride trails and track, thanks

okay i was told that a 01 cr250 had a beter frame then a 98 cr250,,the 2 bikes that i was under consideration was a 98 cr250 or an 01, i like the 98's motor and style beter,,but i have herd that the 01 has a WAY beter frame, and it handles alot beter,,please tell me what you think,, i was thinking of a 03 only if i can find one cheap!, i dont race,, i ride trails and ocasional track, thanks please help

okay i was told that a 01 cr250 had a beter frame then a 98 cr250,,the 2 bikes that i was under consideration was a 98 cr250 or an 01, i like the 98's motor and style beter,,but i have herd that the 01 has a WAY beter frame, and it handles alot beter,,please tell me what you think,, i was thinking of a 03 only if i can find one cheap!, i dont race,, i ride trails and ocasional track, thanks please help

ive heard 01's had intake problems, im sure if you search the honda 2 stroke section, youll find the info you need.

I'd personally get the 01. I think they look better, and they handle better from what I've heard.

GO with an 00 or newer. better handling and motors.

and you can even convert the plastics and graphics to the 06 stuf.

Here's a pic of my 01.

christmas09033.jpg

ive heard 01's had intake problems, im sure if you search the honda 2 stroke section, youll find the info you need.

I'd personally get the 01. I think they look better, and they handle better from what I've heard.

not true. those were 3rd gen problems.

id go for the 01...

Do a search on the Honda 2t forum, there are countless threads written on the '01 vs '02+ debate.

This much I think most can agree on, the '00-01 chassis/suspension is an improvement over the '97-99, and the '02-'07 chassis/suspension is an improvement over the '00-01.

I think most would also agree that Honda would have made a better overall product in '02 if they continued using the '01 engine in the 3rd gen chassis. That said the 3rd gen engines run pretty damn well with nothing more than a Keihin A/S carb (instead of the Mikuni TMX they come with).

I feel the 3rd gen is still the best overall package, power delivery is easier to change than the advantages the 3rd gen offers, which is everything else...

Having owned several 1st, 2nd and 3rd gens in 250 and 125, I agree with the poster that said 3rd gen with the PJ/Airstriker carb.

1st gens are not worthy of consideration, what a terrible frame that was!

I've got a 2004 CR 250 that is flat out awesome...send BlackCR a PM and ask him about his CR, he has the first generation and loves it (his looks killer too!)...

• Like 1

Yeah T Roy your 01 looks great. I'll have to tell my son in law about the newer plastics fitting the 01 as he has one. Are they direct bolt on's? To the OP same son in law had the 98 before his 01. I didn't care for the 98 bike at all. Handling felt old, slow turning, and un-connected. The 01 he has now feels way better IMO. Of the Honda's I've owned and ridden I liked my 07 450R the best as far as handling is concerned.

I've owned a '98 CR 250. Looking back I wish I would have passed on it, but I found a good deal on it at the time so I bought it. It was harsh and I hit the ground more times when I owned it then when riding any other bike, and we spent a long time trying to get it dialed in right. It had a FC suspension, and the motor was okay, but the '95 YZ 250 I owned before it would have ate it up. I've since gone to a 450, and though somewhat more expensive to upkeep, I find it much more satisfying to own and I wad it up a lott less and am faster on it. Not trying to start a debate, just my opinion.

Edited by riderwestslope

ive got a "98" cr250 now and i don't mind it, my one and only complaint is the vibration, you don't feel it so much when your riding but when you hop off your hands are killing like no tomorrow, but if you love riding and your on a budget its great and i guarantee you will have a blast on it.