Sign in to follow this  

2007 525 EXC lighting

Has anyone disconnected the head light on a 525 EXC. Will it damage the electrical system if I put a swith to disable low beam when trail riding to help keep the battery charged???

Years ago I had a DRZ 400 and put a switch in to shut the head light off and it burned up the rectifier.

I put an inline switch on mine without any problems. I left the small "parking" light so it is on all the time. It makes it look like the light is on when riding on the street during the day. It doesn't draw much power.

Your drz had a dc lighting system, maybe that had something to do with it? Your KTM headlights use ac power, the 06 and earlier have a switch on them from the factory to turn the headlight on and off. Shouldnt hurt anything.

All excs here in the UK leave the dealers with switches for turning the headlight on and off. All my buddies and I run with headlights off to keep batteries charged. No harm possible.

Not sure I understand how the headlight on the EXC can drain the battery unless the wiring was modified to make it run on DC. I would think in stock configuration it would only draw power from the AC side of the stator, not from the battery. But then again there are lots of things I don't understand...

Can anyone explain?

Sorry about the hi-jack... If it helps, my '05 EXC has a switch as well so it certainly can be done.

If you turn off the light it does put more strain on the regulator and it will fail sooner. There is no rectifier in the ktm lightning circuit unless it has been modified.

Not sure I understand how the headlight on the EXC can drain the battery unless the wiring was modified to make it run on DC. I would think in stock configuration it would only draw power from the AC side of the stator, not from the battery. But then again there are lots of things I don't understand...

Can anyone explain?

Sorry about the hi-jack... If it helps, my '05 EXC has a switch as well so it certainly can be done.

He's right. I don't think your dc powered charging system will do any better with your ac powered headlight off.

"All my buddies and I run with headlights off to keep batteries charged. "

Perhaps, it's just been coincidence that our flat batteries seem to charge up better , running with lights off for a while. I intend checking with my volt meter next time my rfs is running in my garage.

Perhaps there is a diff in the EU bikes and those here in the states..

I dont think so, but..

The KTM RFS ignition is split about 80 watts ac for the head and tail light and 25 or so to the battery. On 07 and newer EXCs they do have a provision to keep the small light on while the motor is not running.(if the key is on) Prior to that there is no DC power to the headlight.

If you turn off the light it does put more strain on the regulator and it will fail sooner. There is no rectifier in the ktm lightning circuit unless it has been modified.

Correct, no rectifier. The voltage limiting device is a Zener Diode which limits the AC voltage to the lighting circuit. Even though it is located in the voltage regulator rectifier assembly.

Perhaps there is a diff in the EU bikes and those here in the states..

I dont think so, but..

The KTM RFS ignition is split about 80 watts ac for the head and tail light and 25 or so to the battery. On 07 and newer EXCs they do have a provision to keep the small light on while the motor is not running.(if the key is on) Prior to that there is no DC power to the headlight.

Also correct. Unless this is a Trailtech unit or it has had the ground floated, the magneto has two outputs. One for the ac lighting circuit and one to charge the battery. The ac lighting circuit works completely independent of the battery charging circuit. They do not affect each other.

Don

PS. You can disconnect the lighting circuit with no ill affect.

i put a sicass multi-switch on my exc just so i can turn the light off for start-up, the tail light stays on but with it being LED it dosent draw anything anyway..