Sign in to follow this  

So this is what happens when you take your Doctors advice :/

Yep... been doing what the doc has been telling me to do and well..... New Years day went out to the track to do some suspension testing, gearing changes and try out the new front brakes and well yeah. Body still hurts and Yeah.

Well I wasn't planning on pushing it hard but you know just push it enough to see how the changes are effecting the bike and well yeah. I yeah. I ahhhhh yeah.

No I didn't crash :lol: but I did a ton of track time and was pushing it to where we realized no clickers are going to help me now it's time to get into some spring changes :lol: I mean with the gear change (13/50 now) I am carrying way more speed in the turns to where the front wheel has a lot of chatter (yeah... scary) and well we got it better but I was told now that I am running the speeds and times I am now running that the suspension can't handle it :smirk:

Yeah me too... What ?? how does that have anything to do with it??? Well apparently I am now using up all the suspension has to give and I need a stiffer rear spring to help keep the front planted :lol: Yeah I know... I have no clue either but doing what I am told to do on the bike :bonk:

OK... now for the doctor issue.

I have been doing PT like 2-3 times per week since Sept and stayed off the bike until Nov and have only done a few practice days since then and well each time my left hip by the 4th session feels like it's going to pop out and my leg goes numb to where I can't shift (not good) up or down :lol: Then my shoulders start feeling like they will pop out and depending how hard I am pushing it is when my arms and hands go numb to where I have a super hard time releasing the throttle, getting on the front brake and pulling in the clutch to bang down 3 gears before I go blasting through a barrier, chain link fence and some parked cars while coming into this section at 85+ mph and needing to make a 180 degree turn to the left :lol: or even down the back straight at 70 mph.... Not good...

Soooooo..... any of you gals have any good ideas for me to keep this from happening and to push back my surgery date until Nov :banghead:

SprintPhoto_bkxkoi.jpg

Dear Lord Girl...

If your legs/arms are going numb something is pressing on a nerve. Icing afterwards...the spine and the butt will decrease the inflammation as will ibuprofen 600 - 800 mg with food. It would be nice for your physical therapist to see what you do on the bike so she could suggest modified ways of positioning yourself so to prevent pressure on the nerves. See if she could use part of your session to come out in the parking lot and watch you. Maybe its time to take some (more) time off and heal up correctly....I am sure you love hearing that advise. :smirk: But seriously hard to slow down, stop the bike with numb hands/feet...we would hate to see you get hurt.

Yeah... the PT therapist says I have some major nerve issues from the repeated injuries to these areas as well as the disc/nerve damage in my back from the last time I broke my back so she said it will take time but damn... I don't have time lol I am old :smirk:

Oh I am not racing until the spring/summer series and just going out and learning this new bike on top of trying out a different tire type (compounds), different front rotor (solid vs wave), suspension settings (lots of clicker settings we have gone through on the front and rear and found I need a new rear spring), gearing change (13/50 now so I am running the back section in 3rd now vs 2nd), bar setting, lever setting and adjusted the rear brake lever to where you need to really push down on it to get it to grab.

So yeah...... lots to learn about the bike. Oh and learning a few new lines which have helped me pick up about 5mph down the front straight (went from 84 to 89/90 mph).

I think part of my issue is I am going way faster than I used to and I am hanging on for dear life now :bonk:

Just so you know Maureen.... this is what I have to listen to before I go out to get myself pumped up to push the pain away since I don't and refuse to take pain meds hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0wREv6sA1U&feature=related

Good morning....LOL....that's some heavy listening first thing in the morning. No Jerry? No Pearl Jam? How about the Who? Here is my favorite new band.

http://www.youtube.c.../23/aY555bq9m44

No wonder I am so slow...half the time I am on the trail I am chanting!!!! OMMMMM. LMAO. :smirk:

Good morning....LOL....that's some heavy listening first thing in the morning. No Jerry? No Pearl Jam? How about the Who? Here is my favorite new band.

http://www.youtube.com/user/maureen45ful?feature=mhee#p/f/23/aY555bq9m44

No wonder I am so slow...half the time I am on the trail I am chanting!!!! OMMMMM. LMAO. :lol:

OMG :smirk::lol: ....... Thanks for the good laugh first thing in the morning :bonk:

Yes ... music does help pump you up and get you in the right mood :lol:

*UPDATE*

OK............................................ here we goooooooo.

Movement in the shoulders is at 71 % YaaaaY.

Movement in the left hip is up to 67% YaaaaaY

Movement in left knee only 69 % Boooooooo :smirk:

Ribs are good YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY

Neck muscle heeled and 87% Movement YaaaY

Back movement well still sucks at a mere 62%

But I can race again starting next month but was told to keep it mellow until all the surgeries are all scheduled and then I will be off the bike for about a year to heal up Booooooo. But we will see. I might just go with the Hip replacement and knee replacement and that's it but who knows.

But I get to race again YaaaaaaaY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well off to Costco to buy a year supply of Aleve and Tequila :bonk:

Edited by Debi

Glad most is healing well. A year off would suck but in the long run you may race more. I'm sure you could find someone to keep your bikes happy while you're down. :smirk:

Glad most is healing well. A year off would suck but in the long run you may race more. I'm sure you could find someone to keep your bikes happy while you're down. :bonk:

So should I move in with you so you can take care of the bikes??? :smirk:

Debi, I have to admit, I really admire your dedication and masochistic streak! :lol::bonk: Seriously girl! I'm not a kid anymore either. This year I will be 59 and I plan to stay there for at least 3 years. I refuse to age gracefully and sense that trait in you, also. But I swear, I sit here at my desk and flinch and moan as I read your medical reports. :smirk: I've been a nurse for 37 years now and have seen or heard it all. It takes a lot to make me flinch and moan.

How do you do it? Yeah, I know, Vitamin "I" and tequila, the pain killer of champions!

I was off my bike 8 weeks when I tore ligaments in my knee. Danged log jumped right out of the grass in front of me. And those were the 8 longest weeks of the summer, but still, 8 weeks does not a whole year make.

As for the nerve problems, that is a tough one. I tend to have more problems with numbing in my hands, fingers and wrists when I do distance bicycle rides and find then that it's all about positioning. Could you be having the same problems with your bikes? Maybe re-evaluate your posture, handlebar tilt, for your arms, hand positioning, etc. Is your clutch and brake levers set at a comfortable angle for you to reach? Your legs and feet are the tough ones as you are probably experiencing, as suggested, nerve compression from your spinal problems. Hopefully the surgeries, while bothersome, will lessen some of your discomfort, but please do talk to your physical therapist, and if you have to, show them some movies of your riding sessions so they can see what you are doing and offer suggestions. Maybe you could haul one of your bikes into a session, take them out into the parking lot and show them how you sit and position your arms and legs and ask them for tips. Trust me, those PT folks love a good challenge!

You shouldn't have to hurt so much doing something that you love to do as much as you love racing. Hang in there girl!

Debi, I have to admit, I really admire your dedication and masochistic streak! :bonk::lol: Seriously girl! I'm not a kid anymore either. This year I will be 59 and I plan to stay there for at least 3 years. I refuse to age gracefully and sense that trait in you, also. But I swear, I sit here at my desk and flinch and moan as I read your medical reports. :lol: I've been a nurse for 37 years now and have seen or heard it all. It takes a lot to make me flinch and moan.

How do you do it? Yeah, I know, Vitamin "I" and tequila, the pain killer of champions!

I was off my bike 8 weeks when I tore ligaments in my knee. Danged log jumped right out of the grass in front of me. And those were the 8 longest weeks of the summer, but still, 8 weeks does not a whole year make.

As for the nerve problems, that is a tough one. I tend to have more problems with numbing in my hands, fingers and wrists when I do distance bicycle rides and find then that it's all about positioning. Could you be having the same problems with your bikes? Maybe re-evaluate your posture, handlebar tilt, for your arms, hand positioning, etc. Is your clutch and brake levers set at a comfortable angle for you to reach? Your legs and feet are the tough ones as you are probably experiencing, as suggested, nerve compression from your spinal problems. Hopefully the surgeries, while bothersome, will lessen some of your discomfort, but please do talk to your physical therapist, and if you have to, show them some movies of your riding sessions so they can see what you are doing and offer suggestions. Maybe you could haul one of your bikes into a session, take them out into the parking lot and show them how you sit and position your arms and legs and ask them for tips. Trust me, those PT folks love a good challenge!

You shouldn't have to hurt so much doing something that you love to do as much as you love racing. Hang in there girl!

TY :lol:

OMG.. If I took my bike there and went to show them I sooOOOooooo know I would not just sit on it as I would aim for the stairs :lol: then say "see" hehe.

My body is so hammered it's scary and I don't take pain meds unless I can't bare it anymore :bonk: After my last Doc Appt. (still dealing with insurance) he said things are getting better but will never be more than 85% and that's (according to him) not bad with all the issues I have but even after surgery he can't guarantee any more than what I can get to but he said the back pain should be cut in half :lol:

He did say I can race again but to keep doing stretching exercises daily :lol: Yes I have been riding the last few weeks hehe. And NO.. No crashing has happened and I have gotten faster out there which is kinda concerning me now :lol:

Might go to the track this Sunday again if it's dry so I can get my suspension dialed in :smirk:

Look on the bright side, the back surgery is going to stabilize things in that area for you which no matter how you look at it is going to be a plus. You are doing better than I am in the medical compliance dept. I'm supposed to be wearing a knee brace when I ride....supposed to.

But I have to admit that the mental picture of lining up on a flight of stairs on your dirt bike, brings a smile to my face.

Look on the bright side, the back surgery is going to stabilize things in that area for you which no matter how you look at it is going to be a plus. You are doing better than I am in the medical compliance dept. I'm supposed to be wearing a knee brace when I ride....supposed to.

But I have to admit that the mental picture of lining up on a flight of stairs on your dirt bike, brings a smile to my face.

Shhhhhhh... don't tell anyone but I am supposed to wear knee braces also and one on my left leg all the time but well... they don't look good in skirts :smirk:

Here ya go hehe... Stairs the easy way hehe.

https://vimeo.com/8429671