Sign in to follow this  

Seat whacks me clean off the pegs!

There's this one tabletop, and as the rear wheel leaves the lip, it whacks me in the rump and knocks me clean off the pegs, the bike lands, then I land on it. Hasn't killed me yet..but... What am I doing wrong? I paid a guy that comes highly recommended around here to setup my sag, rebound, and compression. The bike is dead stable everywhere else, and I'm a terrible MX rider, so I'm putting the blame on my technique. Here's how I get down. I land the prior tabletop, scream through 2nd gear, then I freak out a little, hold neutral throttle, stand up on the pegs, and that's pretty much all I can figure out, next thing I'm in the air, hovering a couple inches above seat/pegs, wondering if this will be the landing that I missing the pegs on, rack myself, bounce over the bars, and get CR500'd in the back of the head.

CR 500? I'd never been kicked more than riding a CR 500,,i don't like that bike! Have you tried riding someones newer 450?

Sounds like you need to get off the seat.

Along with being off the seat as you leave the lip you need to stay on the throttle to keep the front wheel from dropping and kicking the ass end in the air.

any pictures, video or helmet cam of the jump in question. Even someone elses youtube video. If not then a few dimensions, like height of the face, length of the tranny, final angle of the lip.

OP said he stands, so my guess would be you are very tense when you hit the face of the jump. So when the bike rebounds your legs are locked and all the momentum is transferred to your body kicking you off the bike. Loosen up and you will be fine.

Dude, if you're riding a CR500, you're probably in the wrong gear. I ride a 500 and 2nd gear isn't appropriate for any jump on any track I've been on. Go up a gear and let the torque work for you, and don't cut the throttle before you hit the jump.

And what Chokey said--grip with your legs.

Stay safe!

grip more with your legs, if you grip with your legs your feet wont come off the pegs, also stand up when going into the jump and be in a neutral position

For starters, why aren't you gripping the bike with your legs?

I am, but it hits me pretty good. A dozen or so whacks and I feel like fresh prison fish.

CR 500? I'd never been kicked more than riding a CR 500,,i don't like that bike! Have you tried riding someones newer 450?

I have, and it was fine, but that's a full on race bike, and I'm no racer. I've also heard bad things about top end maint. on the 4 stroke MXers.

Sounds like you need to get off the seat.

Along with being off the seat as you leave the lip you need to stay on the throttle to keep the front wheel from dropping and kicking the ass end in the air.

I'm way off the seat, but I'm never on the throttle, always neutral. To be honest, jumping that thing scares the hell outa me, and I can't always get my wrist to apply what my brain is telling it. Something about a self preservation instinct... Maybe I'll try that technique at a lower speed and see if it helps.

Perhaps you shouldnt be on the track if its scaring the crap out of you... Find something you're more comfortable riding before you seriously hurt yourself.

Sounds to me like you need to arrest the upward movement of the rear of the bike. There are several ways to do it... Get on the gas harder, drag the rear brake, move farther rearward on the motorcycle.

Watch other riders in the same situation and I will guess they are pushing far rearward upon launch. I know it seems counter productive but you are absorbing the energy of the motorcycle more controlled than if your were not to move rearward.

OP said he stands, so my guess would be you are very tense when you hit the face of the jump. So when the bike rebounds your legs are locked and all the momentum is transferred to your body kicking you off the bike. Loosen up and you will be fine.

I keep my knees bent a bit, but I mean the bike literally hits me in the tailbone on the way up. Oddly enough, it seems to land with the proper attitude, just minus myself.

Perhaps you shouldnt be on the track if its scaring the crap out of you... Find something you're more comfortable riding before you seriously hurt yourself.

Sound advice, but it's something I'd really like to figure out. I don't care if I'm ever clearing triples, but I'd like to not get my ass kicked by the intermediate track.

Watch other riders in the same situation

Geez, I do this all the time on the big track to find the best line, but didn't even think about it on the medium track.

I keep my knees bent a bit, but I mean the bike literally hits me in the tailbone on the way up. Oddly enough, it seems to land with the proper attitude, just minus myself.
The bike can't kick you in the ass unless you let it. If the seat is hitting you while you are standing, it means your knees are bending and letting it come up. Try to stay on the gas, maybe even blip the throttle just before the back wheel leaves the face (even if it means slowing down before the jump), pull on the handlebars more and keep your knees from bending too much. That should prevent the back end from coming up.

Of course, start slow then work up the distance once you start feeling comfortable with the way the bike is acting.