Is this bike worth fixing?? 01 kx250

So ive been looking for a broken down 2t for a while now mainly bc of cost. but neway i picked up this 01 kx 250 the other day for 500$ Blown up it came with extra rear shock, beat up rear rim assy. and some other small stuff but so far it needs a new/ fixed cylinder, fork seals and rear shock rebuilt, crank assy., plastics, tires, sprockets and on and on. i figure about 500 for the motor work 100 for plastics 120 for tires, 60 for sprockets plus the suspension. i am sure i could get 500 for the bike if i tried to sell it as it is i wanted to make sure before i took it home that i could get my money back by someone alot more willing than me. or will it make a good bike for about 1500 overall cost after seeing all this i can do all the work except the cylinder but if i fix it will i be able to sell it an get my money back if i don't like it? Is this bike worth spending my time on? I do not know much about these bikes and of course reading reviews some people swear by stuff regardless of the truth... little help please

kinda both i would like to have a project and a bike to ride im selling my 450 to try to pay my truck off. but worst case i don't like the bike id like to fix the bike nice enough to where i can get my money back out of it or atleast close.. my thing is i am not sure whether the bike is worth spending the money and time on??

I can tell you from experience you will spend quite a bit more than your initial estimate, I guarantee it.

If you don't enjoy the rebuild process, the satisfaction of having done it, and riding a bike you built, then move on now. If getting your money back is important, then get your $500 back now and find a good deal on a clean example that is ready to ride, and resellable for what you paid.

like i said though in the end will it be?? is the bike reliable? decent factory suspension? shitty components? bad factory brakes? the only other 250 2t i have ridden is a RM and i liked that but i ride a 11 450 right now and race mid pack C class.... running good does this bike leave a lot more to be desired or is it a decent bike. i like to wrench on things i will certainly learn a lot from this i just dont want to spend the time and money to get it all done then end up like *** this bike is a POS

ask some of the guys in the kawasaki 2 stroke forum

If you can do most, if not, all the work yourself...you'll save lots of money in labor. I own a '95. Paid $500 for it in rideable condition(w/title). That was 3 months ago. Since then: chain, sprockets, both tires & tubes, silencer. Easy stuff...descent prices, still another $500 in parts. Older, run down bikes are relatively cheap, where I live...It's still hard earn cash. The $64,000 Q: What's it worth to YOU? Fixed up it'll be a nice, solid bike. Good luck.

well just getting back on here from last nite.... turns out i went to my local shop and sent the cylinder off to millennium to be fixed and tore it down to bare frame... boy do i have alot of work to do bc of course i found more problems like broken bar mounts and some random messed up stuff ill start a new thread soon with build pics and cost thanks for yalls help

I will be, yest i ordered the weisco bottom end kit and top end kit, flywheel puller, Front sprocket, and CR hi bend fatbars w/ clamps.

Still need plastics, foot pegs, fork and shocks rebuilt, and tires. Luckily my local shop will let me order what i want and pay as i can pick the stuff up. then after i get the stuff put back together i will find all the misc. missing parts i need.

Last year I bought a 2000 KX250 for $700. It needed a crank assembly and a few other small things to run. The bike was in really good condition otherwise. It didn't need chain/sprockets/bearings/brakes/etc.

Here is the thread:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950108

Ended up costing me $1,200 to get done. Everything was nice and clean and the bike was tight all the way around at that point.

Here is a pic of how it looks now (minus the Works Frame Guards).

This is what I ended up with for $1,300.

DSC00558.jpg

So............You can have a really nice bike for under $1,500 if you pick the bike carefully. If you find something that looks like it has been hit by a truck and left outside for years, you probably wont be so lucky.