Sign in to follow this  

2011 450exc or 2012 500exc?

Well, my trusty 04 400 (453) is about done for. I need plates and Kansas won't generally play the game any more on getting plates.

The 450 is $8k the 500 $9,300. Did they finally get the engine sorted out by 2011?

I don't know which way to go.

Thanks.

For 2012 the only choices are the 350 and 500, motor is basically a new design so it is hard to say how reliable they will be in the long haul. With a desmog and remap to the XCW mapping the bikes run very well stock, price difference between the two is only a couple hundred bucks from the research I did.

The 500 (2012) engine is not exactly new, just all the best things ktm has ever done put into one. Time will tell but it is like a dream come true.

500exc is a great bike and the issues have been sorted, they have removed the 10micron filter at the injector and replaced it with a 20 micron, i fitted a silkstream filter in the tank from new as a precaution the bike has been excellent fully recommend them i also think the 450 is a good bike too, good luck mate

stevie

Picking up a 500 this afternoon. :smirk:

i think you'll be quite happy,and with a few mods you can be even happier:banana:

You will like the 500. I was going to tell you not to ride one if you bought the '11 450 already.

I'm curious how the 500 compares to the previous versions with regard to "handlebar vibration"?

I've gotten spoiled riding DR and DRZ Suzukis, and they have little or no vibration

While things were relatively well sorted out by 2011 I think there will always be a possibility oil transfer. My understanding is there's a case mod to turn the engine into a single sump like the earlier or later engine. This would eliminate this possibilty.

While things were relatively well sorted out by 2011 I think there will always be a possibility oil transfer. My undrstanding is there's a case mod to turn the engine into a single sump like the earlier or later engine. This would eliminate this possibilty.

I thought the oil transfer issues were fixed in 2008, I have an 08 with 130 hours on it, it's not had any oil migration

Anyone mounted an aftermarket pipe on the 500? Picking my 500 2012 on friday and will mostly ride MX on it, and sound is important!

FMF, Akra? Whole system or silencer only?