Sign in to follow this  

The true cost of shipping

Forgive me if there are threads on this already but i did try to search first...

anyway, i'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to ship my suspension to MB1 (probably Pensylvania is closest) and i know they say to insure it for $3500 but what i don't know is how much this all costs. i can always figure it out myself but i need to know what size the box that they have you use is, the weight and if they have you ship it ground or some other way....

any info on the shipping aspect of this would be greatly appreciated.

i spend from 50-65 on regular ground with 3000 insurance.

Consider that best case each direction.

If you have a ups or ship and pak store they can hook you up with some heavy cardboard tubing. Pack each fork in it's own tube, but tape the tubes together so UPS loses both your insured forks, not just one.

If your traveling with your forks and shock to race in far away places on borrowed bikes :smirk:, a golf club carrier works good.

UPS makes a long triangular box that fits front forks well, drain the oil to cut down weight. Id bet on 60 each way.

as far as the box goes, the MB1 website says that they can send you a box... Draining the oil first is a great idea.

Does anyone know the approx weight of the combined suspension?

buy a gun case from wal-mart, best way togo!

it says right on their website: "1. Please try not to use a gun case, as Fed-Ex does not insure these gun cases anymore. Please try to use a existing suspension box or call MB1 for a free shipping box."

so would 60lbs be a good estimate for shipping weight of the suspension?

Why not just stand on a bathroom scale with and without the suspension to see?

I don't understand all the concern about shipping weights.

I just shipped mine from NW Washington to Illinois, it weighed 30lbs for KTM forks, shock and oil still in. Was $58 shipping it there UPS and less coming back because they have a better shipping deal. That was with $3000 insurance. USPS was more once you added the insurance and it's also cheaper if you go directly to a UPS customer service center instead of a UPS store.

Why not just stand on a bathroom scale with and without the suspension to see?

fantastic question. the answer is because the susupension is still on the bike and i have no intesions of taking it off until i'm ready to send it to MB1 which won't be until Feb or Mar.... I'm just trying to get an idea of cost right now and so trying to see what it would weigh so that i can try to explore a few different shipping avenues to see what prices i come up with.

i guess i thought with all of the people who have sent out suspension that someone would know what the package that they sent weighed.......

so would 60lbs be a good estimate for shipping weight of the suspension?

Closer to 20-25. Fed-ex is cheaper than UPS for oversized packages by about half.

JayC

I just shipped mine from NW Washington to Illinois, it weighed 30lbs for KTM forks, shock and oil still in. Was $58 shipping it there UPS and less coming back because they have a better shipping deal. That was with $3000 insurance. USPS was more once you added the insurance and it's also cheaper if you go directly to a UPS customer service center instead of a UPS store.

thanks. that is exactly what i wanted to know. very helpful.

Closer to 20-25. Fed-ex is cheaper than UPS for oversized packages by about half.

JayC

awesome. that's good to know.

do you know roughly what the demensions of the suspension box might be?

I just sent my KTM forks and shocks also and it was 32 lbs. I got a glolf club box from Uhaul and cut it down a little. I insured mine for $3000 and it cost $50.00.