Sign in to follow this  

My turn !

I went for a ride yesterday as I am still on my xmas hols . The bike started fine using the choke for a couple of seconds , then once turned off it idled well . I put it in to gear and rode off , not stopping for at least 5 klms . When I slowed down for a set of lights I noticed it had a bit of a hanging idle . I gave the throttle a few blips and it was returning to idle a bit slow . While I was thinking about what was going on , it went boomp , boomp , boomp , boomp , bop ! And just cut out . Boomp , boomp is just a nice idle sound for reference , I`m shit at describing sounds . It didnt want to start but did after quite a few cranks and settled into the usual idle . Next time I had to stop about 15 klms later , it did exactly the same thing again and then did not want to start . I eventually got it going by using the choke to fire it up . after lots of cranking . Then once I was moving I turned the choke off and it ran well at road speed , 60 kph . But again the moment I slowed down it wanted to cut out . This time I was still moving and it was cutting out as I pulled in the clutch to downchange , so I clutched it to fire it up and kept riding . By this time I had turned around and was trying to get as close to home as possible before it stopped altogether . It was giving a bit of a cough when I gave it full throttle but otherwise it was going well at road speed . At this stage I was using the choke as I pulled up at any traffic light to keep the revs up so it wouldnt cut out again . Got some very strange looks from quite a few car drivers . Finally got home and as I pulled into my drive it cut out again as I geared down to stop .

So now I am looking for things to check . Is this a blocked pilot jet in my FCR/MX? , remember it ran fine on constant throttle and did need the choke to start , but only just started most times .

I have read a few posts that ended up being the stator failing and they had similar problems , does this sound like that ?

I am going to pull the carb and go through it and check the fuel tank and tap for any faults/blockages . The fuel is fresh and the aircleaner is clean , so as it was running well at constant throttle I am thinking either it is fuel or electrical . I will be doing a stator check also , but I could run out of time soon as I am going overseas for my hols in a couple of days .

I am leaning towards jet problems , but sometimes there is just too much info on here to make a clear decision , so any suggestions out there on where to start ? greg :smirk:

Likely possibility - Just need to clean the pilot jet.

Other possibles - an air leak has developed, hose, boot connection, split boot.

Don't know if this is common to the FCRMX but possibly a cracked throttle valve plate.

Petrol tank not venting pressure properly? Too much negative pressure could stop the fuel flowing.

Do you still have the charcoal canister? Does sound like a tank vent prob.

I am leaning towards jet problems , but sometimes there is just too much info on here to make a clear decision , so any suggestions out there on where to start ? greg :bonk:

I think you are on the right track...

I would almost bet a Crow Pie that you have a partly bocked Pilot Jet...:lol::smirk:

Well , pulled the carb off of it last night and cleaned out the jets . I think there was something in the pilot jet , I pulled them all and blew it all out with the compressor so the passageways and jets were clear . The tank had some crap in it so I flushed it out and pulled the tap and cleaned it all . Got the carby back on this arvo and it fired up right away , then cut out seconds later and wouldnt start again , I gave up after a while . I cannot tell if the oil smells of fuel or not , it has that type of smell anyway , so I am going to change that and see if it makes a difference . But if it wont go after that I am packing it in till the end of feb when I get home , couldnt be arsed and I have got other things to do before I fly out on wednesday , greg

Do you still have the charcoal canister? Does sound like a tank vent prob.

I`m in australia mate , we do not have charcoal cannisters . Tank is venting

clean the carb real good first

do the usual stator checks

Cant do the stator yet as I do not own a multi meter , I am waiting to get a friends .

Try it on prime....

Tick ! Always start using prime and choke , no throttle when cold .

Idle mix screw still there??

Tick !

it could be starving for fuel

make sure you have fuel flow .. undo the drain plug at the base of the carb and see how much drains out

Tick ! I am getting about the right amount out of it when I do this ( 2 fingers in the bottom of a VB stubby )

Likely possibility - Just need to clean the pilot jet.

Other possibles - an air leak has developed, hose, boot connection, split boot.

Don't know if this is common to the FCRMX but possibly a cracked throttle valve plate.

The pilot did look blocked , but now it and the passageways to it and the mixture screw have been blown clean with compressed air .

All boots seem to be seating correctly , but as it wont run yet , I cannot do a good check with smoke .

I checked the plate when I stripped the carb and it is in good nick , the jets were in place , the needle was fixed in its clip and the fuel valve was working .

So I am at a loss untill I get my mates multi meter to check my stator . Because I have been playing in petrol all day I couldnt tell if the oil smelt of fuel or not . So I will get some oil next and swap it out and see .

If all else fails , I could have a bonfire ! :smirk:

Heres a hint for the new players out there , dont look down the throat of your carby and move the throttle wheel when it has a bowl full of fuel . :smirk:

sounds like the squirt is ok

Yes it works well

do you have spark ?

when did you last check the valve clearance ... just interested

The mate with the meter is going to drop it off this arvo , so I will be able to check the stator then and will also look at the spark and valves at some point , am starting to loose interest very quickly ! More interested in going overseas at this point , greg