Sign in to follow this  

fuel injected 2t

there are fi 2t marine engines already (diesel and gas) , still waiting on bikes though

• Like 1

IMO, direct injection would be a step in the right direction. common fuel injection that injects into the intake tract wouldnt make much of a difference from an emissions standpoint.

the only upside would be no real hassle with jetting.

fi is easy, di is a little harder, di that will work on a light weight machine operated at varied load and throttle settings is even more difficult. Existing DI on outboards and snowmobiles, autos have so much rolling mass/drag and disconnect between the throttle operator,that the engine flat spots and FI glitches (read-lean emissions mapping) are not felt. Dirt bike engines will need a more powerful brain and maps to run it. Plus pay royalties to the patent owners. maybe $500 more per bike when said and done for a small manufacture. It is around the corner for sure.

I gaurantee, from experience, there will be recal 1,2,3, revison 1,2,3, and constant computer reflashes. Till they get it right.

I'd like to see Bombardier jump back in the dirtbike business, since they own all the working DI patents, own Rotax, and have way more capitalization than most the brands now in the twostroke arena.

I'd like to see Bombardier jump back in the dirtbike business, since they own all the working DI patents, own Rotax, and have way more capitalization than most the brands now in the twostroke arena.

Agreed. They've brought back the Can Am mark with quads, but no sign of bikes. They certainly have the budget and tech to do it.

But we're on the way. There's this

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2011/11/ossa-250300-i-the-future-of-enduro/

And then Athena who just signed a big partnership deal with KTM.

the ossa two injector system is comparable to bombadier SDI, which worked good

athena, can't tell, I assume NOT DI because they say low pressure.

whatever, if it works bring it on :smirk:

the ossa two injector system is comparable to bombadier SDI, which worked good

athena, can't tell, I assume NOT DI because they say low pressure.

whatever, if it works bring it on :smirk:

The Athena seems from the pics appears to inject the fuel straight into the cylinder, but draws air through the crank??? Doesn't make any sense for the oiling of the crank.

Here is the article of them partnering up with KTM

http://www.athenaparts.com/blog/69eicma-antonio-cairoli-ha-presentato-athena-2SDI-la-rivoluzione-del-2-tempi

if it's being injected into the cylinder it's usually in the transfer port, timed just right so the exh port is closed before the charge can escape, depending on the bore this is good for about 8500 rpms 9which works for a dirt bike.

Crank bearings can be sealed and lubed with kluber isoflex grease. Been doing it successfully since 1999. That means the oil can really be turned down low, usually with a injection jet aimed toward the rod bearings. Over size big end rod bearings and cageless (more needles) small can be used to extend life with less lubrication.

This has been done before. Nobody really needs to break new ground, they just to do it.