Sign in to follow this  

TC 449 in MUSA 2012 450 MX Comparo

The Motorcycle USA 2012 450 MX shootout is posted, and it includes the TC 449. Don't get your hopes up too high about where it ranked, but it is an interesting read, and the pictures and video are quite nice.

Link: http://bit.ly/tc449comparo

63461218916369864612-husqvarna-tc449-11.jpg

The TC hasn't fared well in any of the shoot outs I have read. Hopefully Husky keeps developing the bike and makes it competitive. MX is hard to break into so maybe more focus on the off road segment?

The TC hasn't fared well in any of the shoot outs I have read. Hopefully Husky keeps developing the bike and makes it competitive. MX is hard to break into so maybe more focus on the off road segment?

By that logic, everyone who isn't Kawasaki should just quit.

They are focusing more on the off-road segment. I applaud Husky for doing what they've done in the MX segment, though - producing a feature packed bike at a competitive price that is at least "in the ballpark" with the best of the established MX manufacturers. It may not win head to head in a trial by experts at a perfect SoCal MX course where each bike is maintained by an expert from the factory, but it is one of the six bikes a MX buyer should consider.

Looking deeper at the comparison part of the test, instead of just the reviews, I see this interesting thing:

Their "Superlap" comparison was completed by two riders described as "Pro Level". One rider was consistently faster than the other rider. The slower "Pro rider" did not beat the faster's Husky lap on any other bike, even his fastest bike, the Suzuki.

This tells me that the Husky does not suck. It doesn't make a fast rider slower any more than a Kawasaki makes a slow rider faster.

-also-

The Dirt Digits pre printed backgrounds on the Husky in the article are probably not a real product - the right side number has no cutout for the shock reservoir - its covering up the compression adjuster. :smirk:

Looking deeper at the comparison part of the test, instead of just the reviews, I see this interesting thing:

Their "Superlap" comparison was completed by two riders described as "Pro Level". One rider was consistently faster than the other rider. The slower "Pro rider" did not beat the faster's Husky lap on any other bike, even his fastest bike, the Suzuki.

This tells me that the Husky does not suck. It doesn't make a fast rider slower any more than a Kawasaki makes a slow rider faster.

:

That's the candy-coated interpretation!!

Another way to look at it is......For any given rider, the TC449 will add 1-2 seconds to your laptime, and get you a poor start, over any other choice of bike tested.

I'll bet the soft fork setup hurt its times in the superlap.

Pretty darn good for a new effort but not going to raise any bars or lure in sales.

Still a more credible and objective test than their writeup on the TC250 (which WAS NOT included in their 250f shootout).

I still enjoyed the read, love seeing Husky included in the mix!

The HP and torque numbers made me laugh hard!! Clearly, they just ragged them through the dyno on the knobby tires. Not very comparable.

When my potential winnings can make up the price difference, I'll care more about the relative lap times. :smirk: