Sign in to follow this  

Engine swap into a 1980 200xr

Well my father just gave me a ~1980 200xr. I am into cars mostly, but have always ridden friends and families bikes, but would like a fast bike. My brother has a fully built 220KDX and I love it and would like to get something close to it. The engine on this bike sounds like its on its last legs, seems to have terrible rod knock. Im wondering if its possible to swap in an engine from a newer bike(Cough cough 2 stroke kawasaki cough cough)? Also where is the best place to pick parts up for one of these?

Anyway onto the pics:

imag0002ns.jpg

imag0008qk.jpg

imag0005um.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

that bike doesn`t seem to be in to bad of shape before you say it has a knock are you sure its not a loose cam chain? I would try tightening it up you may have to replace it if its stretched. As long as these xr`s aren`t run low on oil they will last forever. I wouldn`t swap engines your going to have more time and money into it then its worth. i would sell it make some cash on it and buy a newer 2 stroke motocross if your looking for power. Some may argue but there isn`t a more reliable bike than a xr you can find parts on ebay for cheap sometimes these bikes haven`t changed much during the years so most parts are interchangable.

I don't think it would be any fun to ride with that powerful of an engine, might become a bit unstable.

Alright ill try to tear into it some more and see what is up. It wasn't low on oil but the chain being loose is a possibility. Is there is a thread somewhere about how to squeeze some power out of these engines?

Good news and much bad news:

I don't compete anymore but I enjoy trail riding and I IMO the power delivery of the XR200 engine is just about perfect for trail riding. However the XR200 twin shock chassis makes a nice casual trail bike but at 30 years old it is out classed by newer bikes and adding more power will not improve it, IMO not be worth the effort or expense. The bike has more value as an original vintage bike than the basis for a good trail bike.

For modding just search the stickies at the top of this forum.

Edited by chuck4788