Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 Carb question ...

I took off my airfilter today and noticed a pool of gas right where the airboot meets the carb ... just wondering if this is normal or what ? bike runs / idles great maybe a tad rich for winter ...

Just never noticed a pool of gas there before ... its right over the spot where the air screw circuit inlet is ... maybe from shutting engine off without clearing out carb with throttle ?

shud i be shutting gas off to empty float bowl before turning off engine ??

its been cold and i have been letting it idle for little longer and putting around the yard .... maybe just got loaded up before i shut it off ??

maybe its normal to have a little gas in that area ( where boot connects to carb )like the gas runs down to bottom of carb after engine shut off ??

Any info is appreciated thanks :smirk:

i say it's likely a oil/gas residue

gas would evaporate after a while

Do you do plenty of slow running? just if the reeds aren't sealing to well then some intake revision maybe happen. that's air flow in both directions. or maybe an over oiled air filter?

you're sure it's not filter oil?

it has bluish tint ... i use HP2 premix so i know its gas/oil residue but from where and why ?

Also i see that it has been sitting in such a spot inside carb that it is leaking out the air screw threads :bonk:

Its just enough to halfway cover the air inlet from the air screw circuit ( hard to explain ) at bottom of opening on carb so it sits and leaks out the air screw threads :lol:

my thought maybe just rundown from the sides of carb etc when shutting down engine ... i always rev up before hitting kill switch not sure if this is making extra fuel rush in just before killing engine and just sitting in carb ?

Bike runs great .. she rips i just have pissin me off cuz it shouldnt be leaking out the air screw threads :smirk:

i dont know why people rev up bikes prior to shutting them down. they suck fuel and oil in regardless of weather or not you rev it. all it really does is cause more wear and tear on the motor. having a little gas/oil sitting in that spot just behing the carb is kind normal. my bikes do it. if the clamps arnt tight enough or over tight, they will cause it to leak the fluids from that spot and also a good place to suck air. might not be enough to do any damage. id just make sure your clamp screws are tight enough so it doesnt leak and dont worry about it.:smirk:

well on a 2 stroke if you ride a lot it can be beneficial because it puts some unburnt fuel on rings and between cylinder and piston.

I've noticed a small amount in mine before, I dont think it's anything to be concerned with.

it is also to do with the bead of grease you put on the seal and the filter oil settling. its normal