Sign in to follow this  

2002 rm250 jetting question

when i cold start my RM with the choke on the revs run away. Thats gotta tell somebody something about the jetting. starts fine without choke after two kick with choke on then pushed off. also idle dies off as the day goes on, always good amount of spooge on back fender (even after clean packing) does that help? any sugestions? no bogging or dead spots during ride, actually runs good, just trying to figure a couple nuances out. 165 main, 45 pilot 2nd from top stock needle. Stock is 170, 48 3rd from top.

I'd say you're right on the money/ maybe a hair lean on your pilot/ airscrew setting. I personally find my 03 RM250 is best tuned on the pilot if the revs race within 10 secs of a cold start with the choke. Play with your airscrew. Start right out and slowly,( have to give time for changes ) screw it in untill your revs hit there peak. Onced they've peaked screw out a hair to find the fine point of change to find your setting. Changes every day, even within a day.

As long as you don't have a hanging idle you're not too lean.

thanks

can you explain hanging idle

cant decrease rpms at idle?

When you rev the bike and chop the throttle the revs hang for a second a little higher than normal idle speed before returning to idle.

Make sure your bike is completely warmed up (ridden) before adjusting air screw.