Sign in to follow this  

Shock swap question

Hey! I just picked up a 00 YZ250 today for cheap $475.

It's not running and hopefully only needs a top end. But that's another thing for another day, I won't have time to check it out for a few days at least.

Anyway they rear shock is chewed up on this bike. The bottom near the seal head is ground away like the spring was rubbing it or something. So I would like to put on an 06-09 YZ450f shock in place of it if that is possible.

i tried searching but couldn't find a swap like this for a bike this old.

I don't see why it wouldn't work unless they are different lengths. They look the same in pictures haha.

Somebody must know right?

Anyone have any measurements I can use to see if they are close to my 00 shock?

Well I ended up gambling and bought an 06 yz450 shock on ebay for $90. Great deal!

The newer shock feels like half the weight, it's scary light.

The shocks are nearly identical other than the larger resi size on the newer one. If there is a difference in length it is hard to tell. Measuered the same.

IMG_2414.jpg

The shock bolts right up as you can see with plenty of clearance to the frame just as the stock one has.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

I need to bolt the subrame/ airbox back on to make sure clearance is good there as well. I will probably do that tomorrow. But so far so good!

I bolted on the subframe today and it all fits together nicely. There is a small gap around an 1/8" between the airbox and the resivor. Just enough. I dont see it being a problem. I moved the back end up and down as much as i could and the parts never touched.

I will post other pictures later

Oh i also measured the resivors on the two shocks.

Stock resi diameter is 55mm

Yz450 diameter is 61mm

So the resivor is only 3mm closer to the airbox. Really small difference.

• Like 1

there's a big difference in the spring rates of the 450 shock vs the 250 shock...4.8 and 5.5. You might want to consider swapping back to the 250 spring

Yeah its a big jump in spring rate but Im a big guy and 5.5 is whats recomended for my weight and riding style for the yz250. On my 426 i use a 5.8 and that shock is nearly the same as the 250.

Here's the pictures of everything installed. Should be fine, I couldn't get he resi to hit the airbox.

yz450shock.jpg

yz450shock_.jpg

yz450shock__.jpg

• Like 1

I believe the only difference is the 450 shock is 2mm longer so you should adjust your sag accordingly.

Grab the shock body and see if you can twist it around somewhat to get the best clearance.

Similar to linkage with heim joints at each end, the link (in this case, the shock) will have rotational play thanks to the heim joint's design. The bearings on the bike's shock have that same ability, allowing the shock to rotationally 'float' a little bit.

It's great to see your thread (with pictures! :smirk: ) showing a newer shock body on an older bike.

:bonk:

Edited by CaptDan

Yeah I did play around with the movement in the bearings, but it likes to settle into place in a certain spot once you move it up and down. It centers itself basically. I took the pictures with it rotated all the way to the back.

Edited by 02WR426Cali