Sign in to follow this  

Remember your first ride on a dirt bike?

Ill never forget when my Dad rode home from a garage sale a 1979 YZ 80, and how excited I was to be able to ride it.

I was 5 years old and could not touch my feet on the ground, (not even close) but with little instructions my dad shoved me off and I was doing great zingin around the school parking lot. I guess he never thought about how I was going to stop:eek:

I was barreling towards a fence when I panicked, locked the brakes and went down on the throttle side, still seated the throttle got stuck wide open and I was spinning circles on the ground, everytime I flung around I saw my dad get a little closer to me, I must have spun 10 times by the time he grabbed me:lol:

Ill never forget that day, I was hooked! :smirk::bonk:

it was a pw50 but I dont remember it, I know I was 4. I remember the one time I was in our culdesac and I was dragging the inside peg on it though when I was turning! Man I had some huge balls and some mad skillz

it was 2 years ago. i rode a friends crf230, and i was definitely hooked. so i up and sold my quad, bought an 01 cr250 and never looked back. haha i love my bike.:smirk:

I remember it was a while back ....... My dad found me this XT 125 (looked just like the bike from rambo) anyway I buy the bike and my dad picks it up for me. That night after school he took me for my first ride. He sat on the back and said give her a little gas and let the clutch out easy. My mind hammer gas let clutch go. Bike took off on one wheel I didn't know what to do so down the road we went almost took out our mail box. Tire came back down after my dad hit the rear brake. The we shifted into second and started to pick up some speed we go a ways down this dirt road before he tells me to turn around. I've seen the pro's they don't slow down so I just lean with him and hit the gas cause thats what they do. Up and over the ditch threw some prickers around a tree back threw the ditch and down the street for home we go. To this day I am not sure I have heard my dad laugh that hard again. He couldn't do anything but laugh along with my mom, both sets of grandparents and our neighbors.

Loved it ever since.

My first actual ride on a bike was in 1975, 4 years old sitting in front of my brother on the seat. He purchased a brand new 1974 Yamaha Enduro 100, showed me how to work the controls as we went along - seems like a lifetime ago. First ride totally on my own was a few years later on a Rupp mini bike, been hooked since!

I couldnt tell you what kind of bike it was. My uncle was a mechanic and im pretty sure it was a hybrid 80cc of some sort. But in the yard, pointing toward an open lot, i interpreted 'easy clutch' into rev and drop it. All i remember is whiskey throttling it across the road with one leg dragging. Anything with a motor has been a blast ever since.

An old KDX 80. Whiskey throttle across the yard and into a giant thorn bush.

In the past year I've taught at least 6 brand new riders how to operate a dirt bike, and each have gone on to buy their own, with gear, and become passionate about the sport. I remember my first bike and the sounds and smells, and teaching a new rider gives me the same memory of starting out.

1977ish kawasaki kv75 at a place in Bourne Massachusettes that offered go cart and mini bike rides. Bikes were left in 2nd gear with no shifter. Crazy fun and I smoked my older brother and other kids!

I was 21, and had never ridden a motorcycle period, or even a quad where I had to shift. I was at a friends house and his little brother was out in the yard with another friend and his XR50, bumped to an 88 with a few other mods. I begged him to let me ride it and off I took. Feeling confident after one loop around the yard on the mini I tried to shift into 2nd, but I didn't realize I had to let off the gas.

The first few times I shifted nothing happened...but then it kicked up into 2nd and up on the back wheel I went! I rode the wheelie for about 25 yards with my legs dangling off to the sides trying to slow me down (newbie me: still had the gas pinned and never thought about the rear brake either). Eventually the front wheel came down, I went over the handlebars and the bike then tumbled over me! The owner of the bike ran up as fast as he could, picked up his bike and inspected it. Once he saw I didn't do any damage he looked at me, still laying there on the ground he said "You ok?"

I said "yeah"

To which he replied back "Good, you're done on this thing!"

I didn't get on another bike until I was 25 when I took the msf course on a rebel 250.

5yrs old, first ride ever, YZ80 :smirk:

Either bullsh** or really scary.

No BS and yes it was Scary! Here I am in 1985 (4yrs) on my 70. We got the YZ80 in 86. Check out the sweet gear :bonk:

1985atc.jpg

5yrs old, first ride ever, YZ80 :smirk:

Either bullsh** or really scary.

when I was 5 my dad got me an early 80's yz60. It had a clutch and was pipy-er then the more modern 85's. I don't have any memories of learning the clutch or throttle or any of that, but i do remember on one of my first rides having to ride up a sand bank. I remember going way to slow at the bottom, pinning it and getting whiskey throttle, curved wildly to my right toward some bushes, got the little kid bobble head syndrom, helmet moved a bunch blocking my view, did a 180 avoiding the first bushes and now careening toward bushes on the other side of the hill. Another blind 180, some more out of control swapping and i was at the top of the hill.

My first ride (as in riding b*tch) was on a 1986 Honda ATC 250R in 1986. My uncle used to race three-wheelers. That thing was fast! Then a friend of mine bought one two years ago and it's still stupid fast. Not sure how people raced those death traps. lol

But, my first solo ride was on a 1979 Suzuki TS125 (my first dirt bike). Not super fast, horrible suspension, and was ugly as hell.

Dad's friend from down the street came over with their yellow pw50. I was 8. In the backyard I got on it an went straight to the fence. Broke the front fender.

yep! christmas 2000. razor scooters were the thing to have at the time and that's what i thought i was getting for christmas. nope! F the scooter! i rode around my boss' house all day long in 2nd gear on my brand new xr70. somehow managed to keep it rubber side down the whole time too. i wouldn't have my first wreck until easter when i crashed into a mud puddle. i wish i could find the pictures of that, it was hilarious at how pissed off i looked.

Photo0006.jpg

why zee 80B 1975.... returned home a saw it sitting there , brand new

me .. no idea about bikes ... thanked my dad ... took the new helmet out of the box .

climbed on board , started the bike .. took off ... nailed it from first to 2nd .. into 3rd .. the powerband come in and i departed !!

i was left busted up on the floor :smirk:

my why zee 80 was bent :bonk:

from that point onwards .. i respected the powerband

'97 CR 125. Used too much front brake, and flipped over into a jumping cactus in the middle of the desert. My brother spent an hour just getting cactus out of me with his leather-man...it was awesome.