Sign in to follow this  

drz400 on the freeway?

so does anyone out there have some experience riding/commuting with the drz they'd like to share? had my bike 3 years now and has always been set up for dirt...unfortunately, need to work occ. want to try it out on the highway to save some $$$ in gas and time in the commuter lane. thoughts on good hwy tires? sprockets? bags? stability and comfort doing 70mph for 30-40 miles at a crack? thanks....i know other bikes, klr650, gs650 etc are better hgwy rides, but dont want to sell this and cant afford two right now....

Your going to need to drop your gearing down. The SM is 15/41 and 30-40 miles at 70 should be fine. Don't know about the tires I have the SM. Good luck.

My SM isn't bad on the freeway.... basic exhaust, 3x3 mod and geared at 16/41 (stock is 15/41). It vibrates a little but not enough to bother me, mostly feel it in the pegs. 70 is no problem with this gearing, it'll cruise at 80-85 and I don't feel like its stressing the motor much.

Its definitely doable, obviously you would be more comfortable on a bigger bike but for the $$$ savings I say go for it.

But you also have to remember that you will be running a 21 inch front where the SM is 17's all around. I don't know if that will do anything or not.

I've been using my drz to commute for the last couple of years. Around 30km each way, 5 days per week.

I fitted a set of Michelin Sirac tyres which did make a difference on the road, and lasted longer than the dirt tyres. I was running a 15/48 set up, and the bike ran without a problem, but it did feel like it was revving a little higher than I would like.

I have now fitted a set of SM wheels with 15/41 set up, and it has improved it a lot.

I am now going to change the seat for comfort, and a larger tank for extra fuel capacity.

so does anyone out there have some experience riding/commuting with the drz they'd like to share? had my bike 3 years now and has always been set up for dirt...unfortunately, need to work occ. want to try it out on the highway to save some $$$ in gas and time in the commuter lane. thoughts on good hwy tires? sprockets? bags? stability and comfort doing 70mph for 30-40 miles at a crack? thanks....i know other bikes, klr650, gs650 etc are better hgwy rides, but dont want to sell this and cant afford two right now....

16/41, and some cheap shinko street-like tires. saddlebags will be fine, but make sure your right rear plastics are not touching the pipe. put a piece of insulation in there if need be.

make a small windscreen out of a $2 trashcan from walmart. there are tons of folks doing it.

earplugs.

loud horn.

I commute to work on my DRZ periodically. It is mostly highway and speeds vary between 55 and 75. I have a DRZ S with the stock 15/47 gearing. It's in its upper RPM range above 70 but it handles it with out issue. I'm running the stock Bridgestone Trail Wing tires which work very well on the road at speed. No one has mentioned it yet but be sure to have your street tires balanced.

Ya know, I haven't used by DRZ that much commuting mainly because it's too depressing to have to stop and go to work. :smirk:

:bonk:

I ran a 15-44 and the motor hits a very smooth spot at 62mph. Seriously look at a smaller rear ring. Wheeling cycles sells 38 and 39T steel sprockets, but chain might need to be shortened. It's easier to change the front though. Come to thing of it changing the front to a 16T is easier, quicker and cheaper!!! May have clearance issues???

A simple swap to a 13T give me decent revs and power off road.

thx for the info...with the 3x3 mod, and rejetted, dont you need to modify the exhaust s well? i always thought they go hand in hand

I commuted all summer (fair weather NW rider) with my S with the stock 15/44 gearing. Fine if you keep it below 70, still pretty busy at 60-65. I still have the stock 18/21 wheels but with distanzias and I love them. They are wearing well and are very predictable and grippy on the street. You have to be very careful on the dirt though, 21 inch front really likes to push with a distanzia on it.

I have actual road bikes so I don't go far on the drz, but most everywhere I go on the drz is 15-20 miles away at 60+ speeds. Before the SM wheels/tires, I put some Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion A/T tires on that worked great on road (not so great off road). Stock S 15/44 works well on road. But, really the biggest problem with the drz on road is the seat. Seat concepts made a huge difference.

Edited by Oldhippie

i've been running a set of Pirelli MT 90'sfor about 1000 miles now and they are great... and fairly cheep IMHO.

i also geared down to a 14/41, but i think 15/41 would be even better.

if you want to go to a 16t front... i've got one that's never been used.

I run 16/39 on my SM, 70-mile one way commute. 75% highway, she keeps up with traffic just fine, with some left over. Fitting the 16t front sprocket is a bit tedious, as you need to grind down the case-saver in the front, and groove the chain slider on the swingarm. It's worth the effort.

I also have a dirt set-up for light adventuring, +1 on the D606s.

I use my bike everyday, year round here. For the highway and long trips I run a 15/41 and a set of kenda K761 21/18. I'm really pleasantly surprised by the ride of the tires, and they were pretty inexpensive.

Doing 70 with that setup is not bad at all. But if you do it consistently I would recommend getting a better seat. Like a Corbin or something. I got mine done from fisher and couldn't be happier.

I just did a 250 mile trip the other day most of it at 60-70mph and no problems.

As far a cheap tires look at-

Kenda 761,Shinko 700- both about a 80/20 tire the 761 a little more road.

Kenda 270, Shinko 244- 50/50 tire

The 700 gives pretty decent miles especially for the price!!

I'm running the 700 right now, but will try the 244 next as I want a little more grip off road.

I commuted on the toll-way with my basic-modded DRZ. I cruised at an indicated ~82mph and was always in the fast lane passing people :smirk:

Stock gear'd S, IRC GP110 tires... no problems riding 70-75mph (GPS actual, not indidcated) to the Sierras 150 miles of freeway away, doing 300 miles of dirt/forest roads, and 150 miles of freeway home.

• Like 1

Stock gear'd S, IRC GP110 tires... no problems riding 70-75mph (GPS actual, not indidcated) to the Sierras 150 miles of freeway away, doing 300 miles of dirt/forest roads, and 150 miles of freeway home.

You beat my story by 300 miles. Geez! I need to step it up!