Why no spiral locks for 2 stroke pistons?

Spirolocks are really only know in the performance automotive world. I would love to see Spirolocks more widely used on m/c pistons. Probably a cost issue more than anything else. You know how accountants like to think they are engineers too.

Edited by 2grimjim

Spirolocks are really only know in the performance automotive world. I would love to see Spirolocks more widely used on m/c pistons. Probably a cost issue more than anything else. You know how accountants like to thing they are engineers too.

oh of course if it was an engineers world nothing would ever break and everything would run like a top. unfortunately the companies would rather sell replacement parts than build it right the first time

i dont know why they dont make them but i think they should. ive never had a 4 stroke piston lose a clip but my KX250 has, it sucks but gives me an excuse for a big bore wiseco. oh and btw where in florida are you? im near OIA

Due West Brooksville/Weeki Wachee.

I was just telling my friend about how much better Spiral-Locks are than snap rings. He had no idea what I was talking about. But they exist in the automotive and industrial world and they are the best. They are the best because they are strong, require no special tools for installation and removal and they are easy to install and remove. They are expensive, though. They are probably 5-10x the cost of the traditional circlip. That means when you buy your $150 Wiesco piston, ring, and wrist pin set you're likely paying about $.75 for circlips. So, if Wiseco were to use Spiral-Locks you would have to pay an additionl $3.75-7.50 for your pistons. I don't know if you're willing to pay this extra price because most of us are not willing even after launching one of the circlips to the bottom of our crankcase during a routine piston change as this is only a minor inconvenience.

i have never had a circle clip come loose in a motor. IMO, if it comes loose there is somthing wrong with the piston were the clip seats.

replace the clips every time you replace a piston and you should be good.

It's not an issue of strength it is an issue of ease of installation and removal.

We all know that a piston change is about a 3 beer job and after the third beer we don't always have the necessary coordination to install the conventional type clip.

also put the opening of the circlip at the 12 or 6 posititon i believe it is, it helps prevent them from comming out when the crank hits the bottom or top of the stroke. it makes some since
They should be oriented with the open end at 12:00 o'clock only. The deceleration at TDC is greater than at BDC, so, orienting the ends at 6:00 makes them more likely to disengage.

Yes, the opening at the 12 O-clock position is correct.

I believe, the "tangless clips" are better than the spiral locks, primarly because they're less likely to get bent (damaged) during installation and removal.... Less reliable are the double tang clips... and the worst is any clip that lost it's "spring"