Sign in to follow this  

09CRF230, Jetting, Stock needle? Leave as is?

Ok, I have read through the jetting faq and don't have exact answers that I am looking for.

I have a 2009 CRF230F,

Removed Air Snorkle

Removed Baffle (stock exhaust)

Uni Air Filter.

I have installed a 48 Pilot

I have installed a 120 Main.

STOCK D shaped airscrew,, I took this thing out (with a "pick"), Used a dremel

and cut a slit across it (in order to use a flathead screwdriver on it, and now

have it reinstalled at 1 3/4 turns out,

My big question is what needle is in there (no i haven't looked). Is there any

adjustment on that thing? Do I "have" to adjust that needle? Put a washer

under it?

Elevation - 400feet MSL

Temp - Varies ( Riding temps from 65-90 usually).

Thanks in advance.

My big question is what needle is in there (no i haven't looked). Is there any adjustment on that thing?
Check it out: CRF230Fcarb - carbinfo <-- linky

Scroll down to the needle section and have a look.

Do I "have" to adjust that needle? Put a washer under it?
You don't "have" to do anything if your engine is running well. But if you find that you need to adjust the mid-range richer, you have two choices: use a washer to raise the needle or buy the older needle. ServiceHonda.com sells the older needle for under $20.

That is a great link!

I wonder if you could cut a new groove into the needle to bump it up instead of using a washer....

What size washer is used there?

I wonder if you could cut a new groove into the needle to bump it up instead of using a washer....
A friend of mine who had a small hobby machine shop started cutting grooves in Honda needles back in 1984 when we were jetting the older XR250s. Any machine shop should be able to do it - for $50! Buy the older needle and save yourself some coin.
What size washer is used there?
Ideally, you'd like to use a washer about as thin as the distance between two groove CL - one washer = one clip position. You want a small diameter washer with a center hole not much bigger than the needle. Starting to sound like work? Buy the older needle and save yourself some effort.

If you search, you'll find that an inmate did find a washer that worked and see the picture of his washer.

Honda knew we were going to remove the baffle if we don't live in good ole California. Because of this they have a power up kit for the 230 at your Honda dealer. This consists of two part numbers. The main is a 132 the part number is 99113-GHB1320. The needle is a tiny bit different on taper and has five slots to choose from I prefer the middle slot, the part number for the needle is 16012-KPS-921. I'm at about 300 ft. so that should be about the same. The stock pilot is okay with the stock exhaust. But if you go with a pro-circiut header and pipe you need a 45 pilot. The stock pilot jet is a 42. A48 pilot was too rich. The part number for the pilot is 99103-KPS0450. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Found the washers, In case others out there want to do this.

I went to my local offroad shop and talked to one of the mechanics in the back.

He pulled out 20 bags of leftover jet kits and gave me several washers that were

made just for the purpose I am wanting (to raise the stock needle up). He charged

me nothing. He also gave me several other odd-end pieces in case I needed them. NIce guy.

I plan on using 2 washers and see how it does at that point, I will post back with results after my main jet comes in the mail (rockymountain order).

I am staying with the stock needle for now, If I am unhappy with the outcome I "may" try the powerup needle. I've read here that the difference between the 2 will be minimal with the proper jetting.

Thanks everyone.

Washers work just fine, up to a point.

This piece holds the needle in place:

Carb11.jpg

There's not a lot of room inside the slide to hold this assembly vertical while you start the screws. Not a problem when just the clip is there. As you add more washers, the spring must be compressed more to get the screws started. If you're not careful, the screwdriver tip can slip off to the side and tilt the whole assembly, possibly bending the needle. Just a word of caution.

I think you could put in 4-6 washers with minimal risk, after that....

I placed 2 washers in on the needle and snugged all of it back up. I have not tested the settings yet but will when the other jets are "in".

2 washers were not a problem to install and look to be the distance I am wanting.

I will post as I get things going.

Washer are on the needle (x2), Pilot jet is 48, Main Jet is 120, Fuel screw is at 1.25 turns out.

Bike runs excellent. No tuning issues, No dead spots in the throttle.

The difference is HUGE compared to a stock bike (aside from jetting, I did a twin air filter, removed exhaust baffle, removed airbox insert).

For others wondering how to "get to" the carb to get the jets out. Simply remove the rear seat (2 bolts) and then remove the gas tank (2 bolts, 1 rubber

strap, 1 fuel line- Remove from fuel petcock). After these items are removed then unscrew the clamps on each side of the carb (phillips head screwdriver), then push the carb back to get it out of the "front" boot, Then twist it out of the rear one. There is no reason you can't get to all areas of the carb now.