Sign in to follow this  

fe570 best gearing ?

whats the best gearing for my 11 fe570? 95 percent trail 5 percent dirt road.wanted to see what everyones running.thanks.

ok ,, is it weird to reply to myself ? maybe someone can use this info,i tried 13/50 its too low geared for me,i find myself in 3rd and 4th on st,i'm going to try a 48 rear and will post up results.

I'm on 14/52, it's good for me. I never used first in tight woods as it was to low. Now it great, didn't stall once. And the longer gears make it easier to ride. Nice having loads of torque to help.

I'm on 14/52, it's good for me. I never used first in tight woods as it was to low. Now it great, didn't stall once. And the longer gears make it easier to ride. Nice having loads of torque to help.

yes with 13/50 1st is useless,too much spin,i might try 14/48 .this bike has great power everywhere! i really like the mid range

14/48 may be a bit tall, that's the same as going down to a 45tooth rear, that's closer to road gearing. Might make 1st to tall for tight twists bits. I'd try the 48 first.

I initially tried to install a 50 rear on my 2011 FE570. I just couldn't make it fit with the stock 118 link chain, as it was a good 3 links short. Looking at the parts list for the rear wheel there is a riveting link #78010166100 that can be used to increase the chain length. This is literally just one link which you have to use a staking tool to rivet the link permanently to the chain. I decided to go to a 13/42 (3.23) ratio from the stock 14/42 (3.00) just to try it. Honestly, it wasn't too bad. It would idle along at 7 mph in first without any throttle applied. First is defintely usable in the tight stuff and it still worked great on the road (i quickly had it up to 91 mph before I backed out of it). I might go to a 13/45(3.46) or 13/46(3.53) ratio to make it even more friendly in the tight stuff. I know either one will work with the stock 118 link chain on the 2011 Fe570. The 13/45 (3.46) is definetely similar to the 14/48 (3.43) ratio mentioned above. I think everyones final ratio will depend on just how tight the trails you ride are, with the consideration of how slow you want to go without use of the clutch. The FE570 has so much torque it does not need to be geared down to get more power (especially with the European competition map and the restrictor in the muffler removed). My thanks to everyone who contributes to ThumperTalk.

Edited by tommytherocker1

I initially tried to install a 50 rear on my 2011 FE570. I just couldn't make it fit with the stock 118 link chain, as it was a good 3 links short. Looking at the parts list for the rear wheel there is a riveting link #78010166100 that can be used to increase the chain length. This is literally just one link which you have to use a staking tool to rivet the link permanently to the chain. I decided to go to a 13/42 (3.23) ratio from the stock 14/42 (3.00) just to try it. Honestly, it wasn't too bad. It would idle along at 7 mph in first without any throttle applied. First is defintely usable in the tight stuff and it still worked great on the road (i quickly had it up to 91 mph before I backed out of it). I might go to a 13/45(3.46) or 13/46(3.53) ratio to make it even more friendly in the tight stuff. I know either one will work with the stock 118 link chain on the 2011 Fe570. The 13/45 (3.46) is definetely similar to the 14/48 (3.43) ratio mentioned above. I think everyones final ratio will depend on just how tight the trails you right are, with the consideration of how slow you want to go without use of the clutch. The FE570 has so much torque it does not need to be geared down to get more power (especially with the European competition map and the restrictor in the muffler removed). My thanks to everyone who contributes to ThumperTalk.

great info thanks,you are right about the stock chain being too small for the 50 rear sprocket,i thought it was too risky to use extra chain links so i got another chain.for me 13/50 is too low geared,I will post up the 48 rear results.

13/48 works pretty good in the woods,for me it was less wheel spin than the 50t and less shifting ist gear is a bail gear.

Adam,

Could you use your stock chain with the 13/48?

yes, i had to get another chain for the 50 t sprocket.

I've been riding on the 13/48 set now and I think it's right where I want the gearing. I don't ride a lot of street so i didn't mind loosing some freeway cruising speed. 1st gear is low but perfect for crawling around single track and there is 5 other gears to get me up to 80mph without any trouble.

I did need to get a new chain though, the stock one was just a touch short.

I recently installed a map switch on my FE 570. I have to say I was more impressed than I expected to be. I expected it to just be stock characteristics amplified or decreased, but to me it changed the operating characteristics of the motor. The "L" or low setting actually increased the low end power of the motor, making it have more torque in the lower revs while still managing to get better overall traction (something I thought was impossible). You do lose some upper rpm power (there is still plenty). How does this pertain to gearing? The map switch helps to optimize your machine to the conditions you are riding and may be worth it to a lot of riders.

hmm did you flip the axle blocks around? mine fit with that gearing.

Yeah, I flipped them. The blocks were all the way forward and the chain was still too tight. I could get the master link on but there just wasn't enough room for adjustment. The new chain allowed for movement forward and back. You probably have more hours on your chain and it was a little more stretched than mine? Who knows, I was bumbed, I really didn't want the extra purchase. I was really pleased with the results though so it didn't take long to get over it.

Edited by dlorenz

I recently installed a map switch on my FE 570. I have to say I was more impressed than I expected to be. I expected it to just be stock characteristics amplified or decreased, but to me it changed the operating characteristics of the motor. The "L" or low setting actually increased the low end power of the motor, making it have more torque in the lower revs while still managing to get better overall traction (something I thought was impossible). You do lose some upper rpm power (there is still plenty). How does this pertain to gearing? The map switch helps to optimize your machine to the conditions you are riding and may be worth it to a lot of riders.

Good info! I'll have to play with mine a bit more. I set it on the aggressive/advanced setting and never changed it. It packs more than enough punch, I don't think running out of power is going to be a problem with any of the settings. It's amazing that it increased the traction, the thing already sticks like glue. Now I'm anxious to go check it out. Thanks

Edited by dlorenz

Yeah, I flipped them. The blocks were all the way forward and the chain was still too tight. I could get the master link on but there just wasn't enough room for adjustment. The new chain allowed for movement forward and back. You probably have more hours on your chain and it was a little more stretched than mine? Who knows, I was bumbed, I really didn't want the extra purchase. I was really pleased with the results though so it didn't take long to get over it.

DLorenz:

i just installed a 48 and I have the original 14 on the front of my new bike. What length chain did you end up buying? If I counted right, the OEM street gearing chain has 112 links. On my '04 525 EXC, I ordered 118 link. My guess is for this new bike a 114 or 116 would be perfect and I would like to compare that to what you ended up doing.

Thanks!!!

DLorenz:

i just installed a 48 and I have the original 14 on the front of my new bike. What length chain did you end up buying? If I counted right, the OEM street gearing chain has 112 links. On my '04 525 EXC, I ordered 118 link. My guess is for this new bike a 114 or 116 would be perfect and I would like to compare that to what you ended up doing.

Thanks!!!

I put a 114 on, here's a photo:

IMG_0848.jpg

PS: don't forget to drop the chain guide down to make room for the larger sprocket.

Edited by dlorenz

I put a 114 on, here's a photo:

IMG_0848.jpg

PS: don't forget to drop the chain guide down to make room for the larger sprocket.

I was looking at how close the sprocket is - I didn't get down on my hands and knees to see this - is the chain guide slotted? Where did you get the sprocket? I am finding that many of the places I used to buy parts from for my KTM don't even have the 2011 570 listed as an option - is there a KTM that can be substituted when buying parts? Does that make sense?

I was looking at how close the sprocket is - I didn't get down on my hands and knees to see this - is the chain guide slotted? Where did you get the sprocket? I am finding that many of the places I used to buy parts from for my KTM don't even have the 2011 570 listed as an option - is there a KTM that can be substituted when buying parts? Does that make sense?

Yeah, I think I'm getting ya,

Some parts on this bike are KTM compatible parts (like sprockets, lights, some plastic, bars, etc. . . ) If the parts guy looks up a part for you, a lot of the part #s are the same for both bikes. I forget what they are, but the part # start with the same group of numbers if it's a KTM matching part. I think the KTM dealers don't realize that there are a lot of KTM/Husa compatible parts, they need to cross check the numbers and they'll see that they match. Not all but some.

I got this sprocket from my Husa dealer, about 75 bucks. They didn't have any other sprockets in stock and I was anxious to get one so i splurged. I think it comes right out of the parts catalog on line.

The rear bolt on the chain guild has two settings. You can unbolt the rear bolt and pop out the backing threaded plate and turn it around so it can drop down to the lower setting. This will be obvious when you take it apart, it sounds confusing but it's not. You need to loosen up the forward bolt so the guild can rotate down. This will give you enough clearance for the larger sprocket.

Hope this helps, Dave

Edited by dlorenz